Theft on trains

Discussion in 'Folding Bikes' started by swansonj, 22 Dec 2017.

1. swansonj

swansonj Guru

I see Paul Tuohy (CTC boss) had his Brompton stolen while stashed behind his seat on a train. I am an occasional not regular Brompton train user but I have wondered about the security of leaving a Brompton in the door area of commuter stock while seated, or even more so in the luggage areas at the ends of intercity carriages.

What do you more frequent users do?

2. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Guru

Cheap lock through the luggage bars

mjr likes this.
  3. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Cafe lock everytime

Trickedem likes this.
  4. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

My neighbour had his nicked on the Winchester to Waterloo line. Only stops at Woking. The fast trains only have the option of leaving them in the bike area/door area - no space behind the seats in the main carriages. I keep an avid eye open and usually get up and stand by the bike in any stations. I will think about a light lock though

5. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry Here for rides.

When I did, cable lock to part of train structure.

BTP tell our local cycling forum such thefts are commonplace on the London - Brighton and London - Arun Valley lines.

6. If I ever have to ‘train’ the bike, I sit somewhere near it, and make sure I’m looking at it, when the train is stopped, at whichever station we’re at. I’ve never had one nicked yet. It would be very easy to stop anyone at most train stations, because of the ticket barriers, at most stations.

7. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

Someone I know used to insist bikes were perfectly safe on trains. His faith in human nature was touching. Then someone stole the skewer from his front wheel during a train journey :sad:.

raleighnut likes this.
  8. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Just an occasional train user with the bike, but I always stay with it. Seldom do a journey of more than 40 minutes to an hour and Northern or TPX trains normally make it easy to stand with the bike.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  9. I no longer know if we're just talking about folders, but supposing we've moved onto all bikes, then watching them gets harder when you have to store them in things like this, at the end of a carriage
    Bike on train Stockport-Birmingham 20100424.JPG
    In cases like this I try and sit within view of the nearest exit onto the platform, and check at each station that no-one is wheeling my bike away. I would have to react quickly if they were though. Not a perfect system, but I haven't had any losses so far.

theclaud and NorthernDave like this.
  10. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Lock it to the train (and fark any train company that says it's against their rules, but don't block any exits) or stand/sit by it.

No comment on this being a metaphor for CTC leadership, then? ;)

11. OP
    OP
    swansonj

swansonj Guru

I am grudgingly forced to admit that I was moderately impressed that he uses a Brompton.

12. alicat

alicat Guru

Used to use, I think you mean.

I'll get me coat...

Leaway2 and swansonj like this.
  13. CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

If not next to me, then cafe lock and within sight, being alert at stations.

raleighnut likes this.
  14. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Yours is a bit more eye-catching than the average Brompton, mind.

CopperBrompton and swansonj like this.
  15. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Live in a more honest part of the country.

alicat, Drago and mmmmartin like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice