Theft on trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Live in a more honest part of the country.
"Travel through" a more honest part part of the country would be a better bet.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Travelled from Milton Keynes or Northampton to Euston for 14+ years with no issues. Preference was to stow bike between seat backs but failing that left it in door lobby. If it wasn't in sight locked it to stanchion with a cable lock but under no illusion that would deter a professional.

Kell

Veteran
I've often wondered how it doesn't happen more frequently.

I'm on the Chiltern line and my train journey is <40 minutes, so I just stand with my bike.

. If it wasn't in sight locked it to stanchion with a cable lock but under no illusion that would deter a professional.
I think that is plenty. These seem to be crimes of opportunity**. There are no stories of tooled up professionals roaming trains looking for Bromptons, and if there were, they would not find many. Also, it would be very risky to take wire cutters out and hope no one would notice. It would only take a slightly loud question from someone noticing if for the owner - who will only be a few meters away - to hear and respond.

**the fact that the Brompton that started this thread was found abandoned suggests that it wasn't a professional theif, but just someone who saw an opportunity.

Kell

Veteran
I think that is plenty. These seem to be crimes of opportunity**. There are no stories of tooled up professionals roaming trains looking for Bromptons, and if there were, they would not find many. Also, it would be very risky to take wire cutters out and hope no one would notice. It would only take a slightly loud question from someone noticing if for the owner - who will only be a few meters away - to hear and respond.

I think this is true, but be under no illusion that tooled-up professionals are NOT roaming the trains.

A friend of mine had his Brompton stolen from his destination station. Obviously he normally takes it on the train with him, ut had a dental appointment that morning and locked it at the train station while he went to the dentists. When he came back, it was gone. CCTV footage showed a gang of people dressed 'as cyclists' getting off the train, going to the cycle racks, cutting free several bikes and then getting on another train with 'their' bikes back to London.

It seems like a lot of effort to me, but I guess outlying stations are a prime target as the bikes are left there all day.

So I guess they might take advantage of an opportunity to nick a bike from under your nose if you're not paying attention, but they're more likely to pick on those people locking them up for the day.

Mile195

Veteran
I travelled from Cornwall back to Paddington with my bike last summer. It goes in a separate area that you can't get to through the train. The guard was rushing me to get in the passenger section, as the train had to leave and I didn't feel I had time to lock it so I left it. At each stop I ended up leaving my bag to hold my seat, and leaning out of the door looking up to the back of the train until it was ready to leave each station.
My bike was safe as a result, but there was every opportunity my bag could have got nicked instead!..

However, I think in your position I would almost certainly tether it to a luggage rack or hand rail if it couldn't be sat with me. I wouldn't leave any other item worth a thousand pounds on a train in a place where I couldn't see it, and it could easily be picked up by someone else.

Randombiker9

i've never taken my bike on a train but i assume if it happens don't the BTP deal with this (British Transport Police) because here whenever crime happens on trains or in a train station there the ones that tend to deal with it.?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's not always a good idea to lock a bike on a train though. Not that long ago I was on a train on which a guy locked his bike up to a rail in the non-opening side of the vestibule, and went away and sat down. At East Croydon the doors opened on that side, and chaos and bad-tempered exchanges ensued. He did rescue his bike from being pulled out of the door, but he didn't have time to unlock it and move it. There are good reasons why locking bikes is usually not allowed by train operators.
Someone being stupid when leaving their bike in a vestibule isn't a good reason against locking up in the racks, though.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
i've never taken my bike on a train but i assume if it happens don't the BTP deal with this (British Transport Police) because here whenever crime happens on trains or in a train station there the ones that tend to deal with it.?
Yes. Our cycle forum works with BTB regarding bike theft from railway property/trains. Sussex plod not interested.

BTPs advice can be summarised as "get a clunker for each end and stop leaving valuable kit unattended". Plenty of scrotes ride the rails locally looking for opportunistic targets.

Top Bottom