Theoretical RLJ Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't see the point getting off and walking...why not just be patient...calm down and take it easy?

It's almost as bad as one of those motorists who must overtake to save a few seconds....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cubist said:
You may have done if you realised that PUFFIN is an acronym for Pedestrian User Friendly INtelligent Crossing.... ain't technology BRILLIANT!!

As for the OP, yes no problem in law, except you'd now be on the wrong side of the road, or facing the wrong way, so why would you want to? :tongue:

Huh, I've used Puffins and never noticed a difference, except the Green Man isn't displayed conveniently opposite you, but alongside - behind where you'd be at the edge of the kerb (unless you have a pram in front of you)

And I don't think he means crossing in those terms...

For a ped crossing, why bother, just stop and wait for the few seconds. Getting off to walk past a long queue, more likely.

NigC

coruskate said:
I am not 100% convinced. The bit of case law usually quoted is from Crank vs Brooks, where it was said

Originally Posted by Waller LJ
"In my judgment a person who is walking across a pedestrian crossing pushing a bicycle, having started on the pavement on one side on her feet and not on the bicycle, and going across pushing the bicycle with both feet on the ground so to speak is clearly a 'foot passenger'.

(emphasis mine). If you're only dismounting to cross the junction and remounting afterwards, the circumstances are clearly not the same. And you're still in control of a vecicle, so ...

What on earth is a "foot passenger" :tongue: I'm guessing that's what I'm talking about..... possibly :rolleyes:

The thinking is that you stop at the lights, get off the bike, pull the bike onto the pavement, walk along the pavement and across the crossing, put the bike back on the road, get on and ride off (assuming it's safe to do so). So while you're crossing, you're a pedestrian (or "foot passgenger" ?). Of course, this whole process is probably going to take a similar amount of time to waiting for the lights to change anyway, so why go to all the trouble? :biggrin:

If there's a difference, while crossing, between someone doing this and another person who's simply walking a bicycle, it's surely only in the mind?

Arch said:
Huh, I've used Puffins and never noticed a difference, except the Green Man isn't displayed conveniently opposite you, but alongside - behind where you'd be at the edge of the kerb (unless you have a pram in front of you)
There's a logic in that the green man rather than being in front of you, and you lool up and away from traffic; you have to look down and to the right (facing traffic) but as you say your view of the signal can be blocked, nothing perfect :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
HLaB said:
There's a logic in that the green man rather than being in front of you, and you lool up and away from traffic; you have to look down and to the right (facing traffic) but as you say your view of the signal can be blocked, nothing perfect :tongue:

I know it's mainly that I'm used to the old Pelican style.

And how sad is it that I can list all of them: Pelicans, Puffins, Toucans and Pegasuses. (And zebras, of course).

Trevrev

Veteran
monkeypony said:
If its a pedestrian crossing with no pedestrians on it, just ride through it. Saves oodles of time and energy.

Oh no!!!........This comment could lead to a ganging up and preaching session !! ;). PMSL !!

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Mr Bean did that at a set of lights once. He saw a cyclist dismount and walk his bike so did it with his mini, pushing around the corner, then getting back in and driving off again.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
guitarpete247 said:
Mr Bean did that at a set of lights once. He saw a cyclist dismount and walk his bike so did it with his mini, pushing around the corner, then getting back in and driving off again.

See the link in jonny jeez's post

Top Bottom