Theoretical RLJ Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
Or take advantage of cycle path facilities :smile:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQGxDK04NLw#t=0m50s

lolly

My ex's mother was once given a telling off from a policeman (who was obviously having a slow day) for pushing her bike the wrong way up a one way street. He said she should have pushed it all the way round the one way system - the right way - arguing that pushing or not, she was still in control of a vehicle. I suppose this technically applies to red lights too.

A while back I was stopped by a policeman for cycling down a one-way street. I had genuinely missed the sign, so apologised (luckily he left it at that), turned round and began to pedal the other way. He laughed and said "you are allowed to keep going your way, just get off and push to the end of the street!" Clearly one of them was completely wrong...would guess mine was right. Otherwise if the above rule applied, you couldn't push your bike along the pavement.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The only time I RLJ is when there is positively no-one else using the junction or crossing and there is no one in sight who is likely to be annoyed. Or police!

Is there an existentialist arguement that if no one saw it - then it didn't happen :tongue:

No, but there's a stronger law - it's called Murphy's Law. Murphy, being the incurable optimist that he was, virtually guarantees that if you do attempt to cross while nobody's around, someone will see you! :tongue:

Someone told me once, and showed me the relevant law, that covered cars passing through a forecourt (ie petrol station, as they are often in this position) on the corner of a cross road to skip a red light when turning left.

Thing is - I cannot remember which law this was, or if I was dreaming.

Not saying this can be applied to cyclists - just that I think there is stuff that covers this kind of behaviour around.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Someone told me once, and showed me the relevant law, that covered cars passing through a forecourt (ie petrol station, as they are often in this position) on the corner of a cross road to skip a red light when turning left.
The offence is of crossing the stop line when the associated signal is at red. If they've cut the corner to avoid the line, then technically I suppose no offence committed

(Possibly there's some more general DWDC&A or "being a plonker" rule that a sufficiently diligent copper could get them on, but that would be extra work)

The offence is of crossing the stop line when the associated signal is at red

Which I think is exactly what the OP is suggesting by dismounting and walking through the junction? Yes it's walking as opposed to cycling but the stop line would have been crossed whilst on red and that's the key bit. Where's the resident legal expert on these things? :wacko:

Which I think is exactly what the OP is suggesting by dismounting and walking through the junction? Yes it's walking as opposed to cycling but the stop line would have been crossed whilst on red and that's the key bit. Where's the resident legal expert on these things? :wacko:

They were talking to me though regarding cutting a corner in the car.

Although - a red light on the ROAD... if you are walking on the road, do you need to stop? Thus, could you walk the bike through on the road rather than the pavement?

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't have any legal qualification, but I have read the act (not just the highway code) and to the best of my recollection it applies only to vehicles. If you're walking on the road, no problem.

A bike while being ridden is a vehicle in law. A bike being wheeled - well, I don't know. If you look back before the bump you'll see the references to Crank vs Brooks where the judge ruled that a pedestrian pushing a bike across a crossing, who was a pedestrian before he started crossing and carried on being a pedestrian afterwards, was still a pedestrian. Some people will treat this as "a person pushing a bike across a crossing is a pedestrian no matter what they were doing immediately before or after", others might think that what the bike-pusher was doing before and after is relevant.

The intersteing thing, if it *is* legal to dismount just for crossing the line, is of course that you could legally remount just beyond the line and ride across the junction...

That's mostly how I read it too.

I was on the path last week, walking of course came out of an archway onto the road, right by the arch was a pedestrian crossing... at this moment I thought, if the traffic was busy,could I press the light and then join the road, would I have to join it behind the crossing from the kerb? Could I walk onto the crossing, onto the road then start?

It it wasn't busy so I joined the road after the crossing :tongue:

Dan B

Disengaged member
It gets a bit weirder when you start trying to find out what the legality of roller skates is, mostly because nobody knows whether (or when) they count as vehicles at all. If they don't (and they probably don't, as there isn't any kind of law to say they do) then as a skater I am officially classed as a pedestrian but can move at speeds of 15-20 mph ignoring almost all traffic signs.

Not that I (often) do, but ...

What do people do with regards to RLJ when you come to lights at junctions which only set off by cars but there are no cars around you to make them turn green?

I know some motorbikers wear magnets on the sole of their boots to set off the loops. What do you do? Wait for a car to turn up? Jump it when safe? Ride/push across the pedestrian crossings?

crumpetman

It gets a bit weirder when you start trying to find out what the legality of roller skates is, mostly because nobody knows whether (or when) they count as vehicles at all. If they don't (and they probably don't, as there isn't any kind of law to say they do) then as a skater I am officially classed as a pedestrian but can move at speeds of 15-20 mph ignoring almost all traffic signs.

Not that I (often) do, but ...

On the pavement? There must be some law that could be used against you if the police saw you and wanted you to stop. It would just come under some general "behaving dangerously" thing. If you are in the road on skates then the same could apply.

Top Bottom