Theoretical RLJ Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NigC

guitarpete247 said:
Mr Bean did that at a set of lights once. He saw a cyclist dismount and walk his bike so did it with his mini, pushing around the corner, then getting back in and driving off again.

Erm..... check above ^^^^^ ;)

I think that junction is around my area somewhere xx(

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Just spotted the Mr Bean link. I should have read throw tread more carefully:blush:.

StuartG said:
The only time I RLJ is when there is positively no-one else using the junction or crossing and there is no one in sight who is likely to be annoyed. Or police!

Is there an existentialist arguement that if no one saw it - then it didn't happen ;)

I agree. This even applies to pushing the bike through red lights. Legal or not, if it irritates following car drivers it just adds fuel to the "cyclists don't stop at red lights" fire.

coruskate said:
If you're only dismounting to cross the junction and remounting afterwards, the circumstances are clearly not the same. And you're still in control of a vecicle, so ...

My ex's mother was once given a telling off from a policeman (who was obviously having a slow day) for pushing her bike the wrong way up a one way street. He said she should have pushed it all the way round the one way system - the right way - arguing that pushing or not, she was still in control of a vehicle. I suppose this technically applies to red lights too.

guitarpete247 said:
Mr Bean did that at a set of lights once. He saw a cyclist dismount and walk his bike so did it with his mini, pushing around the corner, then getting back in and driving off again.

Really?;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
There's a Mr Bean sketch where he sees a cyclist dismount and push his bike through a red light, so he gets out of his mini and follows him. Not into Bean myself.

(but I did enjoy Groundhog Day:biggrin:)

OP
OP
Jezston

Jezston

Über Member
Well that settles that. Wasn't actually suggesting I'd actually do it!

Also, the reason I brought it up is because I'd seen a Mr Bean sketch where a guy pushes his bike through a red light, then Mr Bean pushes his car through ahahaha have any of you seen that?

Cubist

Still wavin'
I'm going to check Youtube. If I find it I'll post a link!

Ah, here we are

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLFOpQbtC5c&feature=fvst

Dan B

Disengaged member
Rhythm Thief said:
I agree. This even applies to pushing the bike through red lights. Legal or not, if it irritates following car drivers it just adds fuel to the "cyclists don't stop at red lights" fire.
Yebbut. Rding two-abreast and filtering (not at the same time, obviously) are also both legal and may irritate following car drivers, so where do you draw the line? I refuse to pander to their bike envy

Dan B

Disengaged member
Rhythm Thief said:
My ex's mother was once given a telling off from a policeman (who was obviously having a slow day) for pushing her bike the wrong way up a one way street. He said she should have pushed it all the way round the one way system - the right way - arguing that pushing or not, she was still in control of a vehicle. I suppose this technically applies to red lights too.
Did she tell him to go and catch some real criminals? She must have been sorely tempted to

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Jezston said:
Well that settles that. Wasn't actually suggesting I'd actually do it!

Also, the reason I brought it up is because I'd seen a Mr Bean sketch where a guy pushes his bike through a red light, then Mr Bean pushes his car through ahahaha have any of you seen that?

he he.......:biggrin::biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I suspect that once you get off and onto the pavement and push the bike, about 90% of drivers simply cease to register your existence, in the same way that they don't register any pedestrian not about to cross the road.

Ride on the pavement, and that'll arouse their ire, yes, but walk pushing the bike, and I bet you just 'disappear'. Rejoin carefully (ie, don't just ride out in front of them), and I expect they'd barely notice.

dondare

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:

If that's correct, it's really petty.
I live on a one-way street, and always walk up to the top. I've never seen a MrBeanesque motorist push their car up the road, but plenty seem to think that if they go the wrong way backwards then that doesn't count.

Top Bottom