There are some things even a Marathon + can't handle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
About 1.5 miles into my commute this morning I got that awful feeling of running on a flat rear tyre. I can't remember the last time I ever had a puncture as I've been using Marathon + tyres for many years. I often joked that the only reason I carried a pump and repair kit was for other people.

Well I needed them today. As I use an Alfine 8 hub, I wasn't looking forward to taking the rear wheel off in the -2C temperature and I wasn't even sure I had a 15mm spanner in my pannier. Feck.

The puncture was a lot easier to find than I'd expected; a 2-inch steel spike has gone from one sidewall through to the other, cleverly bypassing Shwalbe's puncture protection strip. How on earth did that happen? I can't picture in my head what position that must have been in on my route for it to have entered the tyre like that.

IMG_3139.JPG

Anyway, pulled it out, marked the tyre, pulled the tube from that section (no need to take wheel off, phew) and set about roughing the tube to take the glue and patches. It took ages to get to the tacky stage. Eventually got the patches affixed, reinserted the tube and slipped the tyre back on. Don't believe all the stories about M+ tyres being hard to seat, they're no big deal.

Now to get some air in with my emergency mini-pump with its handy T-shaped head grip for easy action.
I'd got about 10psi in when the handy T-shaped head just farking sheared off its shaft. "Arse, feck, buggery bollocks!"

IMG_3140.JPG

With numb hands, trying to grip a narrow metal shaft with enough purchase to get a decent amount of air in, it was proving impossible to inflate it properly. I think I got about 30psi before I gave up. From there it was a very slow (and bouncy) ride into work where I got my track pump and inflated it properly. I'll check again in a few hours to make sure it's still up.

Lesson is: don't be a smug git because you use Marathon + tyres and don't rely on a cheap no-name mini pump from Lidl.

Now looking for recommendations for a small pump that will stay in one piece when I need it most.

byegad

Legendary Member
I carry a small pump, for the initial inflation so's you don't nip the tube putting the carcass back on, then CO2 to inflate to riding pressure. You need to replace the CO2 with air at the first opportunity, home with a track pump for me, as CO2 leaks out of tubes far quicker than good old air. It works for me, although I don't get that many punctures.

:hyper: What have a said??????????

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I was equally peed off yesterday when my two day old Continental Ultra Sport II Folding Road rear tyre when psssssssstttttt.....

Having just passed a tractor doing hedge trimming, I had a huge splinter inside the tyre. I was hoping they would have been more resilient!

My pump was working but I must must must get some backup co2's. They are so light and small it really is a no brainer.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
About 1.5 miles into my commute this morning I got that awful feeling of running on a flat rear tyre. I can't remember the last time I ever had a puncture as I've been using Marathon + tyres for many years. I often joked that the only reason I carried a pump and repair kit was for other people.

Well I needed them today. As I use an Alfine 8 hub, I wasn't looking forward to taking the rear wheel off in the -2C temperature and I wasn't even sure I had a 15mm spanner in my pannier. Feck.

The puncture was a lot easier to find than I'd expected; a 2-inch steel spike has gone from one sidewall through to the other, cleverly bypassing Shwalbe's puncture protection strip. How on earth did that happen? I can't picture in my head what position that must have been in on my route for it to have entered the tyre like that.

View attachment 390829

Anyway, pulled it out, marked the tyre, pulled the tube from that section (no need to take wheel off, phew) and set about roughing the tube to take the glue and patches. It took ages to get to the tacky stage. Eventually got the patches affixed, reinserted the tube and slipped the tyre back on. Don't believe all the stories about M+ tyres being hard to seat, they're no big deal.

Now to get some air in with my emergency mini-pump with its handy T-shaped head grip for easy action.
I'd got about 10psi in when the handy T-shaped head just farking sheared off its shaft. "Arse, feck, buggery bollocks!"

View attachment 390830

With numb hands, trying to grip a narrow metal shaft with enough purchase to get a decent amount of air in, it was proving impossible to inflate it properly. I think I got about 30psi before I gave up. From there it was a very slow (and bouncy) ride into work where I got my track pump and inflated it properly. I'll check again in a few hours to make sure it's still up.

Lesson is: don't be a smug git because you use Marathon + tyres and don't rely on a cheap no-name mini pump from Lidl.

Now looking for recommendations for a small pump that will stay in one piece when I need it most.

At the risk of appearing a Schwalbe tyre anorak, the tread pattern looks to me to be a Marathon Supreme, not a Marathon Plus.

The Supreme being one level below the top level puncture protection of the Plus.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
At the risk of appearing a Schwalbe tyre anorak, the tread pattern looks to me to be a Marathon Supreme, not a Marathon Plus.

The Supreme being one level below the top level puncture protection of the Plus.

Yeah, doesn't look like a plus to me either - you'd have never been able to remove the tyre!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Giyo pumps are cheap and fairly light, but relabelled as Spesh and others so are OK and can get their claimed pressures in my experience.

Oh and when your luck's out, it's out, so I bet co2 would have leaked or frozen your fingers if you'd had it!

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Yeah, doesn't look like a plus to me either - you'd have never been able to remove the tyre!

You might be right, I think it came with Supremes and I replaced the front with a Marathon+, not the rear.

Either way, I don't think there's a tyre that would have resisted that spike!

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've given up carrying a pump; for me a gas dispenser with a cartridge up the spout and a spare cartridge with the spare tube in my mini saddle bag are sufficient. On the one occasion when I forgot the dispenser I realised I'd forgotten it, thought: "That means I'm going to have a puncture" and five minutes later a tyre went flat. I changed the tube nice and leisurely then hung around for a few minutes enjoying the sunshine until a bunch of riders came by and one lent me his gas dispenser.

Top Bottom