There are some things even a Marathon + can't handle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Topeak pocket rocket.
I have 3 of them (1 in each of my bags)
They claim 160 psi.
I have my doubts whether it is that high - however, having dissed it initially, even DZ expressed surprise as to how hard it was possible to re-inflate a tyre using this pump.

https://tinyurl.com/y75ar8lp

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin_P

Guru
That looks like an Amazionian in a loincloth shot that like a dart out of his blowpipe at you. Did you happen to hear unmistakable "Tttt" noise a blowpipe makes just before? Anyway, you were lucky as they rub the darts over the backs of poisonous frogs to coat them in a halucinagentic (never had cause to even attempt to spell that word so no doubt it is wrong as my speeeling is never the best) poison.

As for pieces of bike kit falling to bits; I had one of those multi tools that look like a swiss army knife which I carried with me in the pannier for many thousands of miles always knowing it was there for just in case. The first time I came to use it, I found it in about thirty pieces. The through bolt had somehow rattled itself lose and all the Swiss army parts were all over the place. It took me longer work out how and fix that than it did to do the minor bit of work I needed it for.

Moral is to always periodically check any kit you cart round with you on the bike, particularly puncture kit glue which has a habit of disappearing into the ether.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

I still maintain they're no big deal to fit or remove. I've done it several times.

But if your tyres are Marathon Pluses, then they are probably no big deal.

Personally i have separated the rim wire from the rubber on a 16" M+ with my thumbs in a failed effort to mount it on the rims.

Oh, and your new pump looks like an off-brand version of my lezyne, which is an excellent pump.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And to annoyingly sound a note of caution after the purchase was made, I switched from a mini floor pump to a telescoping mini pump with hose because mini floor pumps are longer, weigh more and you push them against the floor which is generally filthy. Other than that, they're great AFAICT, though. They do inflate tyres more easily than mine but I don't puncture enough to mind. You pays your money and...

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The new pump arrived last night and I'm very impressed with it; good build quality, light, feels good in use and is pleasing to look at.
I particularly like the threaded reversible valve head.

pump.jpg

Top Bottom