There is light at the end of the tunnel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Rough night, horrible sciatic leg pain , worse than ever,how can that be when surgeon tells me the nerves are no longer trapped :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
Or the nerves are just battered from being trapped as well as swelling everywhere. Your spine has been roundly assaulted, it's all going to hurt for a while unfortunately

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Ye
Or the nerves are just battered from being trapped as well as swelling everywhere. Your spine has been roundly assaulted, it's all going to hurt for a while unfortunately
Yeah but i think I'm a big wuss , seriously I know what you mean , I think I under estimated just how painful it would be, hopefully it will all be worth it in time.

Ye

Yeah but i think I'm a big wuss , seriously I know what you mean , I think I under estimated just how painful it would be, hopefully it will all be worth it in time.

everyone tells me it should be... I hope to someone that it is the case!

I dont know how you cope honestly, i think we need an Unlike button needed for that post if you know what I mean.
I know what you mean. I think that is why I have ben given an extra night. Op on Monday, and they are not expecting me to leave until Saturday at the earliest. I will be using the diazepam... and it will be on my notes from the word go so I don't have to wait for either my surgeon or the duty dr to prescribe it and then the nursing staff dispense it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Ye

I had a back op 20 years ago, a 'simple' discectomy and decompression, the post op pain was horrible, probably mainly from the 6" incision as well as the battering. I've been pretty much fine since despite not exactly being kind to myself

Hang in there :smile: Focus on getting better, and remember how awful it was before the op and why you had it :smile:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Thinking of you and your pain issues @roadrash - keep looking ahead to where you will get to ('cos you're a stubborn CC cyclist ;)) and remember what Muhammed Ali said:
"I hated every minute of traning but I said Don't quit ! Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion !"

Take Care. GWS :okay:

Last edited:
Rough night, horrible sciatic leg pain , worse than ever,how can that be when surgeon tells me the nerves are no longer trapped :wacko:

That's fairly normal. Your body has had a major invasion and it's telling you all about it. When the air ace Douglas Bader had a leg amputated he said he could still feel the toes on the leg he'd lost. The nerves take a while to settle down.

If I only learned one thing from my 2 back ops it was that I was no longer an invincible rugby-playing mass of bone and muscle, but I was an older car that needed listening to for the rattle and creaks that mean a bit of oil is needed somewhere, or a bolt tightening.

I promise you that if all went well in surgery, it will all calm down in a few days and you'll feel fine very quickly. Life may not be quite the same, but you've just had a de-coke, a re-bore and a new set of tyres, they all need bedding in! As we get older, we need to take more notice of how we feel and how we perform. We can't just barge our way through life and expect our bodies no longer to complain. :smile: Especially the blokes amongst us. The ladies seem to be more attentive to their bodies.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Your absolutely right Andy, it is gonna take time for the nerves to heal as others have said its all part of a healing process and I will have to be a patient patient and not to expect miracles, I guess I didn't realise just how big a deal the surgery was, ....I do now.

vickster

Legendary Member
You did say in one of your early posts to expect a 6-9 month recovery time, so don;t try to push it yet, get a good physio on board and take it slow and steady. Surgical recovery is often a marathon not a sprint :smile:

Your absolutely right Andy, it is gonna take time for the nerves to heal as others have said its all part of a healing process and I will have to be a patient patient and not to expect miracles, I guess I didn't realise just how big a deal the surgery was, ....I do now.
I know it probably sounds selfish, but you are really helping me here. It is giving me an idea on what to expect. I know it is a big op and a big deal, I know I will also probably be cursing and complaining this time next week as well, but what you are posting is really helping me a lot. Sorry but you are helping me an enormous amount. I am just hoping this settle down as quickly as the surgeon suggests they will.

Best wishes to you and hope the pain settles down for you soon.

Spot on. Spinal surgery is a big deal - I absolutely didn't appreciate it at the time - aged 55 I was still 21 (ish..). But we get over it, or most of it!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I know it probably sounds selfish, but you are really helping me here. It is giving me an idea on what to expect. I know it is a big op and a big deal, I know I will also probably be cursing and complaining this time next week as well, but what you are posting is really helping me a lot. Sorry but you are helping me an enormous amount. I am just hoping this settle down as quickly as the surgeon suggests they will.

Best wishes to you and hope the pain settles down for you soon.
... and for you, too SNSSO ! :hugs::hugs::hugs::rose::rose::rose:

Top Bottom