There's a rat in me compost, what am I gonna do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
one female = up to 18 babies every 5 to 6 weeks.
each baby = sexual maturity by 5 weeks. each can have up to 18 babies
each "grandchild" = sexual maturity by 5 weeks and so on.

But they all burn the same, right? FLAME ON.

And of course, it's highly unlikely that they'll all survive, even without the flamethrower ation. Having large litters generally presupposes a large attrition rate due to predation, starvation etc... Otherwise the whole world would be covered in rats 8 foot deep...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tetedelacourse said:
one female = up to 18 babies every 5 to 6 weeks.
each baby = sexual maturity by 5 weeks. each can have up to 18 babies
each "grandchild" = sexual maturity by 5 weeks and so on.

But they all burn the same, right? FLAME ON.

And of course, it's highly unlikely that they'll all survive, even without the flamethrower ation. Having large litters generally presupposes a large attrition rate due to predation, starvation etc... Otherwise the whole world would be covered in rats 8 foot deep...

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:

best not to take any chances though. Spray them with GT85, put on Bombtrack, see them begin to enjoy the feeling of having water displaced, and then

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFF

YOU CAN'T RUN FROM YOUR OWN FUR, LOSERS

Tetedelacourse

Arch said:

best not to take any chances though. Spray them with GT85, put on Bombtrack, see them begin to enjoy the feeling of having water displaced, and then

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFF

YOU CAN'T RUN FROM YOUR OWN FUR, LOSERS

I'm surprised nobody's voted for the rat trap. Like a mousetrap but bigger. . Keep the cat indoors. Bait with cheese. Wait. Bang - rat's head is crushed, but it bounces around for a couple of minutes. Post vid on youtube.

Wobbly John

Veteran
If you decide to dig them out of the compost - beware, they can 'go for you'!

... even when you have just stuck a fork right through them! xx(
I speak from experience - In the end I managed to get the pair, and the nest of babies with either the fork of spade when I dug the heap out last year.;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Arch said:
Try one of those ultrasonic rodent scarers? No idea if they work, but I see them in gardening catalogues.

They don't work, don't waste your money...

Crackle said:
xx(:smile::smile:

....who get Weil's disease.

Anyway, Canoeists are quite difficult to set alight, an airgun might be better.

There's a lot of canoeists where I live. There're a nice lot, but they all have a lot of upper body strength and might not take kindly to being shot with an airgun. I suggest you use something that finishes the job. ;)

Danny

Legendary Member
Funnily enough I say three dead rats on the road while I was on a short 15 mile ride yesterday, which implies that there must have been a lot more around that I didn't see.

Maybe there's a rat population boom going on.

littlered

Fnaar said:
TBH, it doesn't bother me that much, it's the missus.... she saw one on the bird table snaffling the nuts (oo'er) and is worried they'll find their way to the house etc. Like I said before, we're next to a river, so pretty much bound to have the occasional incursion. Various neighbours cats use our garden as a toilet, thoroughfare, and my yappy dog prob'ly scares them off too....
was just wondering how to discourage them, really, make it less attractive to them....

The problem is feeding the birds. Most people I know (I am the manager for a petshop) end up having rat problems in their garden if they feed the birds.

You have to make sure the birds eat all the food, or you clean up the seed on the ground everyday.

Stop feeding the birds and they should go away.;)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
littlered said:
The problem is feeding the birds. Most people I know (I am the manager for a petshop) end up having rat problems in their garden if they feed the birds.

You have to make sure the birds eat all the food, or you clean up the seed on the ground everyday.

Stop feeding the birds and they should go away.;)

Or get birds that eat rats - like Tawny Owls xx(

Top Bottom