There's fast ... and then there's fast ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I often give myself a pat on the back if I average over 20 mph on the way home, and if I manage to sprint the last couple of miles, then I arrive in a sweaty, panting heap!

I've just been watching the tour of britain over lunch - the riders passed a sign saying "15Km to go" (so just under 10 miles), and the commentator said, "they're just coming up to the sprint finish". With 10 miles to go? Sprinting for 10 (count 'em one, two, three, etc) miles?!!

you've got to be yanking my chain, having a slight guffaw at my expense!
blink.gif

BSRU

A Human Being
I often give myself a pat on the back if I average over 20 mph on the way home, and if I manage to sprint the last couple of miles, then I arrive in a sweaty, panting heap!

I've just been watching the tour of britain over lunch - the riders passed a sign saying "15Km to go" (so just under 10 miles), and the commentator said, "they're just coming up to the sprint finish". With 10 miles to go? Sprinting for 10 (count 'em one, two, three, etc) miles?!!

you've got to be yanking my chain, having a slight guffaw at my expense!
blink.gif

I am always amazed by the average speeds they achieve during individual time trials, I'd have problems going that speed down a steep hill.

I am always amazed by the average speeds they achieve during individual time trials, I'd have problems going that speed down a steep hill.

I'm always amazed by some of the TT speeds posted by amateurs 27mph+ but then the pro's blow that away 30mph+ :ohmy:
On a long descent (well long for us) with very few junctions and not too technical on this ride (Lap 7) my moving average was only 22mph!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
On the Charity ride I did the 185Km course was completed in 6h n mins. The commentator stated that the leaders of the Tour Of Britain would be doing it in about 4h 30ishmins!!!! That is scarily fast.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
20mph average!?

Im happy with 17.5!

20mph average? Crikey, I'm among the faster riders on CS7, and I manage somewhere between 20-25kph most days.

Lol! Please bear in mind that my route is [a] flat, often has a nice Westerly tailwind on the way home and [c] I tend to collapse in a puddle if achieve the 20mph average!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's easy to 'sprint' for 10 miles when you are in the pelaton.
The guys who will actually sprint for the win are never doing any work in those 10miles and there is never 1 person on the front fo the whole 10miles

gavintc

Guru
I have a bumpy ride to work, and I see 30 kph as my target. Since breaking my leg, a year ago I am getting better but still 28.5 kph is my best this summer.

On one of the ToB days, I was watching the other evening, the camera had a speed in the bottom of the picture. Admittedly, they were getting close to the finish, but 62kph is just unreal. I can achieve this on one of the 6% gradients on the way into work - downhill. The differential between normal cyclists and professionals is just so wide.

Even if I trained all day every day, I would never get even close to this - impressive.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I have a bumpy ride to work, and I see 30 kph as my target. Since breaking my leg, a year ago I am getting better but still 28.5 kph is my best this summer.

On one of the ToB days, I was watching the other evening, the camera had a speed in the bottom of the picture. Admittedly, they were getting close to the finish, but 62kph is just unreal. I can achieve this on one of the 6% gradients on the way into work - downhill. The differential between normal cyclists and professionals is just so wide.

Even if I trained all day every day, I would never get even close to this - impressive.
Tell me about it!

I am more impressed with your 20 mph average mate, well done
I do 17 mph for a 17 mile commute, but there are 2 towns to negotiate and countless traffic lights.

I once managed 20.5 mph but that was with a tail wind, I can only dream of a 20 mph average !

well done mate

Tynan

Veteran
It's easy to 'sprint' for 10 miles when you are in the pelaton.
The guys who will actually sprint for the win are never doing any work in those 10miles and there is never 1 person on the front fo the whole 10miles

hmm, need to get the commuters on my route properly organised

Top Bottom