Thermal clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I went out early Sunday morning and it was my head which was the coldest part! Hasty order of a skull cap and buff followed.

I got a Polaris scull cap which is just right for the cold. I tried a normal beanie hat but my head nearly melted in the first half mile.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Buffs are brilliant for keeping your head warm :smile:

For thermal bike wear, look for those described as "Roubaix" fabric. Basically, it's fleecy on the inside.

Once the temps don't get into double figures any more, I'll be in the fleecy tights and winter jersey with a base layer under it. Once it's down below 5C, the softshell jacket comes out :smile:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
As Jay says windproof is key. I have some mavic thermal bibs that are great in cold temps... if you just stand around. Once i get moving the cold goes right though them.

You can use unpadded tights, leggings, RonHills etc over padded shorts.
Legwarmers are best when there is a need to remove them, is temp change. If you always wear them all the time, leggings are more comfortable.
How do you pee in bibtights?

Winter base layers don't need pockets and rarely need neck zips. You can use a simple T-shirt style rather than stack more cycling jersies in layers. When you have 3 layers of back pockets, it can get uncomfortable.

If there is no rain, a simple windproof is much more comfortable and breathable than the best waterproof.

Once you have the base and shell, midlayers can be pretty simple and cheap. Thin fleece or wool jumpers and sleeveless gillets are good.

Summer shoes are tight and made of mesh. Winter footwear needs to be looser, so you can fit thicker socks, and need a more windproof upper.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
It depends from person to person on how much you feel the cold. I had 2 deg C this morning and a long sleeve base layer and jersey was more than enough. Never had bib longs, just shorts with running trousers underneath. Skull cap to keep the head warm. And you can never get enough of a buff...

bpsmith

Veteran
No need for separate Winter Shoes. Just get some quality overshoes.

sidevalve

Über Member
I agree with the above - windproof is the way BUT if you keep the extremities warm ie toes fingers and ears [and the top of the head, you lose a lot of heat through the roof] and you will find you can keep going way into winter without much trouble.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As Ian said, buffs are where it's at. It's really good for morale not to have cold air wafting down your neck. There's a really nifty thermal buff that is extra cosy but I can't find the link. Merino vests are good but I find that they get horribly itchy if you get sweaty. I wear a synthetic vest (Lidl) next to my skin with a merino one over the top. Sometimes I weat three vests beneath my jersey.
I don't "do" cold. I'm not Ronnie Pickering.....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is about as personal as helmets.

It is all about trial and error. I have cheap gear and expensive gear and I mix and match.

I wear bib tights with 240 denier tights underneath or Ron Hills underneath if it is really cold. I have a cheap, thermal, long sleeve top from Aldi. On top of that I have a fleece lined cycle jersey with arm warmers and an Aldi windproof top.

My favourite bits of gear are arm warmers and leg warmers. But most certainly a Polar Buff for my head and one for my neck.

I have lots of Winter gear and ride when it is down to -15 but after 20 minutes I usually have to take something off.

You just have to test it because what you are comfy in, I may not be.

But its the wind that gets you cold, so think windproof.

bpsmith

Veteran
Couldn't disagree more. Overshoes simply don't compare to the comfort warmth and longevity of a decent set of winter boots.
Overshoes May be ok for an occasional weekend ride out but in my experience daily commuting in all weather's I want winter boots.
OP makes no mention of commuting at all. Assumptions made on both parts here, I guess.

If commuting is involved, then certainly buy the kit that keeps you out there commuting in the worst weather.

If it's just riding for pleasure, then it's not a necessity. I have fleece lined overshoes that haven't let in any water yet. They worked very well through last winter. It pays to buy decent quality ones though.

simongt

Guru
It all depends how 'hot' you ride; i.e., how much heat you generate when you're cycling. This will determine how many layers of what you need to wear to keep warm and whether you're a hothouse flower or a cold cookie. I work around a layering system of windproof and long sleeve top ( Aldi's best ) to thermal t-shirt, said long sleeve top and a bombproof very hi viz cycling paramedic jacket in very cold conditions. Legs - Tracksters or Bikesters. Feet - neoprene overshoes. Hands - don't go there - ! I've spent a fortune on winter gloves over the years and nothing really does the job despite the claims of the manufacturer. But then having had Raynaud's disease for as long as I can remember doesn't help.

Top Bottom