Thermal clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glass Kites

After only getting into cycling earlier this year, this will be my first winter on the bike.

Just wondering if I'm going to need to buy some thermal jerseys and shorts? Or can I just 'layer up' with my current jerseys to keep warm?

RegG

Über Member
After only getting into cycling earlier this year, this will be my first winter on the bike.

Just wondering if I'm going to need to buy some thermal jerseys and shorts? Or can I just 'layer up' with my current jerseys to keep warm?

I am in a similar position..... Have ordered some thermal bib tights from Wiggle and have a windproof jacket already so hopefully these will suffice. Interested to hear from our more experienced contributors.

andyfraser

Über Member
I think it depends on how you feel when it's cold. I just wear my winter bike jacket (not particularly thick but wind proof and water resistant) with a normal t-shirt underneath, my usual cycling tights, extra thick socks and walking boots. I have thermals and other winter gear but have never felt the need for it here, even when it got down to -6 last winter.

Simontm

Veteran
Depends on what you wear and how cold you get. By the coldest part of the winter I am in the winter coat, some kind of cycle top and base layer while below is normally shorts with leg warmers or tights, socks and quite often overshoes if feet are feeling particularly cold.

Generally, to keep warm layers are better as they form air pockets that warm up with your body temperature and on those days when you start early but it turns into quite a nice day, you can take a layer off!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You can add thermal knee/arm warmers to extend the wearing of shorts/jerseys a bit longer but there is a point (for me) where nothing but actual thermals will do.

Wore a pair of DHB Flashlight thermal bibs for the first time the other night, impressed so far

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Base layers (such as merino, bamboo, synthetics) add a layer of warmth inside what you have.
Socks and gloves are key cold spots that need some good weather protection.
A buff (or non-branded equivalent) takes care of your neck, ears and even nose if it gets really bad.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
layers is all key for when its cold, I can get through most of winter with similar to what I wear in summer/spring. Albeit long fingered gloves,gilet, long sleeved base layer and knee warmers. I do have longs but kept for only the coldest of days. Oh and a couple of buffs, one for the head and one for round your neck invaluable items IMO.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I wear regular clothes but I do sometimes put thermal or merino base layers on in the depths of winter and I like my windproof and waterproof jackets and the rainlegs and waterproof shoes.

And I keep a couple of reusable chemical handwarmers to pop in my gloves if I've got it wrong :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
Some thermal tights and socks needed then just layer up on the top half.

Wore a pair of DHB Flashlight thermal bibs for the first time the other night, impressed so far

Worn mine 3 times, the side reflectives are cracking already and the DHB logo on the rear is coming off. Nice pair of bibs for the money though!

vickster

Legendary Member
My thighs get very cold, warm tights over padded shorts work. I use Altura winter cruisers but there might be skin tight options. One layer on my legs isn't enough if it's cold (under say 8deg)

HelsBells Cambs

I went out early Sunday morning and it was my head which was the coldest part! Hasty order of a skull cap and buff followed.
Are you better off going with bib tights, or bib shorts and add leg warmers?

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd go for longs rather than leg warmers, summer shorts tend to be of a much thinner material than winter tights

I don't do bibs, just waist tights (or waist shorts under waist tights)

I do have some gore tights with wind-stopper material on the tights, don't like them at all!

Top Bottom