Thermal clothing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got a tendency to run hot, so have survived so far on layering up. I've bought some B'twin 700 membrane bib tights to keep me out there this winter, which seem to be up to the job so far.

A huge +1 for keeping your feet warm though, 'cos if they get cold out on a ride they will stay cold (and for a while after you get home afterwards!). I'm managing with thermal socks, sometimes with a thinner pair beneath them. Not tried overshoes yet...

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
The last few rides have been difficult to balance clothing to temperature and wind chill. It's that time of year.

I agree with the heat loss via head and feet/hands. Last weekend I nearly melted because I tried overshoes and they held the heat in from being slightly overdressed. Amazing the difference it made.

bpsmith

Veteran
Went for a group ride yesterday. I was the only one in tights and long sleeves. I was warmer on the climbs, but I had the last laugh outside the cafe after coffee and cake.

MattDB

Über Member
After a few months of overheating with heavy layers I now favour those fabrics that 'wick away' sweat. I use general outdoor type ones rather than specific cycling ones as I found these cheaper. I wear a short or long sleeved one of these then a long sleeved mid layer (I think it's worth buying a reasonable one as my current one is about 7 years old and counting). Then a reflective jacket, also an outdoor type one as I found cycling specific quite pricey.

Gloves I've never got quite right, currently looking for some warm ones.

HelsBells Cambs

Went out yesterday morning quite early when it was still a bit nippy and it was the first time I felt I'd got the layering right: skull cap (a must) 3/4 bib shorts (my legs get hot) merino base, short sleeve top, windproof shell. Thermal socks!!

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm constantly getting a cold back in this colder Nov weather, I'm wearing layers, starting with a base layer, but I'm still getting the cold back.

Maybe, I just need to pedal faster. ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm constantly getting a cold back in this colder Nov weather, I'm wearing layers, starting with a base layer, but I'm still getting the cold back.

Or give someone a backie..

GuyBoden

Guru

Does stuffing a newspaper under the back of the Jersey (like some Pros do) actually work?

GuyBoden

Guru
I thought pros put it down their fronts to stop the windchill on descents? It should work anywhere, but a thicker air-trapping jumper works better - assuming you're not racing and could stop to take it off if needed.

Thanks, I'll give a thicker jumper an outing today and see how it goes.

Top Bottom