these dam pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddypete

just cant get used to these pedals,ive had a few scrapes with them already,its the small shimano spd things,thinking about going back to my flats,does anyone think flats are not as good,for touring,i just dont like my foot attached to the pedal,i want to get my foot on the floor when i need to,cheers

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you feel far comfortable cycling in flats, then just do it. Not everyone get's on with clipless. Clipless are not the be all end all.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Have you got the clips set to the minimum tension, so they are very easy to unclip ? This gives a much greater sense of security.

Have you spent some time leaning against a wall [other objects are available - including live people ! ^_^] and practising clipping in and unclipping on both sides ? Once you do this a few times and get the hang of it - the technique and amount of movement required - you should have the confidence to use your clipless pedals more.

Like all things, it takes a bit of practice and a bit of confidence to start with - but I believe the returns are worth it. :thumbsup: As @ianrauk has said above - it's not essential ! :laugh:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I know people who deliberately tour on flats so they can wear walking shoes (I went for SPD walking shoes insted).

As recommended above, try turning the screws (on both sides if they're double-sided pedals) down to minimum tension for each pedal, which should allow you to get your foot out as easily as you can, but if you decide you don't like them then just go back to flats.

tournut

just cant get used to these pedals,ive had a few scrapes with them already,its the small shimano spd things,thinking about going back to my flats,does anyone think flats are not as good,for touring,i just dont like my foot attached to the pedal,i want to get my foot on the floor when i need to,cheers
Try strapless toe clips, on flats no worry about feet sliping and you can have any shoes on.

Cringles

I prefer flats. I like the SKS Touring pedals, fairly cheap, feet rarely slip. I'm on the look out for a better pedal though, maybe a flat with spikes, something MTB guys would use.

MKS Sylvian Touring work well with toe clips and loose straps. I can get my feet to the ground during an unexpected slide.

stephenjubb

Über Member
I've toured with spds for two months in Scotland, they wore out to the point I could not get my foot out. One time near I was nearly stopping and could not get my feet over and fell over with traffic behind and in front.. I was lucky. They are not for me, I like the security of knowing I can put my feet on the ground instantly. My speed did not improve, so for me no advantage. Do what you feel safe with, it is all that matters.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
mks-lambda-pedals-1.jpg
MKS Lambda pedals, excellent.

Reactions: mjr

screenman

Legendary Member
What is the exact problem? I would say if the brain does not send the signals quick enough go back to flats. This old guy has been on SPD since they were invented and Look before that and I have not had a problem. Do not let your pedals spoils your enjoyment though, just because others like them.

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

I've toured with spds for two months in Scotland, they wore out to the point I could not get my foot out. One time near I was nearly stopping and could not get my feet over and fell over with traffic behind and in front.. I was lucky. They are not for me, I like the security of knowing I can put my feet on the ground instantly. My speed did not improve, so for me no advantage. Do what you feel safe with, it is all that matters.
yes,i can get my feet out when i've got time,but its when i've not got time that worries me

Top Bottom