These damm cyclists clogging up the roads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Why don't local businesses (hotels, etc) capitalise on this influx? There's a tiny town on the Adriatic coast of Italy, called Cesenatico, where they have upwards of 10,000 riders enter a single event every May: I Nove Colli.

It's a fantastically well-organised event, with full medical and police support, feeding stations and mechanical assistance. Do the locals moan? No, they've got hotels bursting at the seams, as are the cafes and restaurants, for the weeks leading up to it.

Can Surrey not learn something from this?

GC

Kies

like GC i am suprised the local businesses are not more vocal. The influx of cash around these events are a business owners dream!

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
They should regulate cycling in Surrey.

Then they (whoever they are) might put the same effort in to moving some of these cycling events into Essex :bicycle:

screenman

Legendary Member
like GC i am suprised the local businesses are not more vocal. The influx of cash around these events are a business owners dream!

Cyclists spending money, you must be kidding you only have to read some of the posts on this forum to see how penny pinching many are.

Must admit though in a traffic queue I would much rather 2 cyclists than 2 cars.

Got to run guys, nice and sunny outside and I am going out on the bike to block the roads of Lincolnshire up.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
So lets clamp down on the smaller cycling numbers rather than on the larger car numbers :crazy:
Is this because they think cyclists are a smaller and softer target than motorists?

What about queues of cars closing the roads for long periods during rush hour?
What about all the motorised tourists polluting and ruining the countryside?

:wacko:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
2728091 said:
As I suspect you know, all normal and thus un-noticed

Oh, yes.
It's quite odd that we consider sitting around in cars in traffic jams quite "normal" and yet we cannot wait 5 seconds to pass a person on a bike.
It's quite odd that we will let car festivals happen with little complaint as cars are "normal", but we have to clamp down on an activity which could promote health and help lessen congestion on our roads, not to mention potentially bring money to an area.

Oh, yes, all quite normal and un-noticed.

Sheep, is all I can say about "normal" people...

I shall stop before I get carried away.

All that to say I agree with you.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh, yes.
It's quite odd that we consider sitting around in cars in traffic jams quite "normal" and yet we cannot wait 5 seconds to pass a person on a bike.
It's quite odd that we will let car festivals happen with little complaint as cars are "normal", but we have to clamp down on an activity which could promote health and help lessen congestion on our roads, not to mention potentially bring money to an area.

Oh, yes, all quite normal and un-noticed.

Sheep, is all I can say about "normal" people...

I shall stop before I get carried away.

All that to say I agree with you.

The thing is that some car drivers believe that we shouldn't be on the road. OK, that's fine I will drive my car to work and hey...I may be the car in front of you making you that little bit later...

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Speaking as someone who has witnessed what happens at the finishing town in a TdB stage and the amount of people who watch the end of the race, I can tell you that the amount of cyclists can be a concern.
I went through the centre of Llanberis after the stage had finished and there were a lot of people. The roads were blocked with cars and cyclists were filtering everywhere. It kind of gives you a taste of what it is like to ride in London. There were about 500 cyclists at the top of Pen-y-pass and most of them were trying to go through the town at once. It was mayhem.
Cyclists werent causing the traffic jams, it was the lorry's and buses trying to get out. Marshall's had their hands full with it.

So I can imagine the concerns the council have. However, they cannot exactly stop cyclists cycling on the roads because there is simply 'too many of them'. We could say the same about cars in London. They clog up the streets because there is too many of them.

Top Bottom