These damm cyclists clogging up the roads.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rams1de

The topic under debate was the council's proposed cycling strategy, I guess the event was held as part of the consultation process. Reading the overview, it appears to pro-cycling.

If anyone is interested in what Surrey council hope to achieve, here are the main aims:

1. We will improve infrastructure for cycling by securing funding to develop high-quality, joined up cycle routes, taking account of international best practice, utilising off-road and quiet streets, and separating cyclists from motorised traffic on busy roads where feasible. We will focus our efforts on routes that connect where people live with where they work, shop and go to school, and with rail and bus stations for longer journeys.
We will actively bid for external funding to do this, and integrate cycling considerations into our highways processes, programmes and initiatives.
2. We will promote and encourage cycling as a means of transport, health promotion and for sport and leisure, building on the enthusiasm generated by the Olympic Games. This will include maps, information, events and other promotional measures.
3. We will implement measures to make cycling in Surrey safer for all. In addition to the infrastructure measures described above, we will deliver cycle training available to all and will work with the Drive SMART Partnership to deliver media and publicity campaigns targeted at cyclists and motorists, alongside enforcement measures.
4.WewillensurethateverychildinSurreyhastheopportunitytolearntorideabike. Wewill work in partnership with the Surrey cycling clubs and other partners to identify how we can best work together to ensure that no child in Surrey is denied this opportunity.
5. We will manage the impacts of increased levels of cycling and cycling events on Surrey's highway network, countryside and communities through putting in place robust and transparent event approval and management processes and working closely with the sport governing body to disseminate codes of conduct for event organisers and cyclists.
6. We will support development of local plans that are responsive to local needs and concerns

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sounds a lot like what they say around here, the latest being that busses will now have three (3) cycle racks on the front, instead of two, and that downtown Bloomington will be linked to the Constitution Trail, although in Uptown Normal (we have been instructed to call it this) the bike trail runs right through the midst of town, around the traffic circle, and down the train platform. Just where the other, defunct railroad was. Also starting to hear about backlash against cyclists over here. The bat-wielding Texan has struck many a nerve. I believe he has been charged with something now, as the videos clearly show his behavior, in another thread.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Speaking as someone who has witnessed what happens at the finishing town in a TdB stage and the amount of people who watch the end of the race, I can tell you that the amount of cyclists can be a concern.
I went through the centre of Llanberis after the stage had finished and there were a lot of people. The roads were blocked with cars and cyclists were filtering everywhere. It kind of gives you a taste of what it is like to ride in London. There were about 500 cyclists at the top of Pen-y-pass and most of them were trying to go through the town at once. It was mayhem.
Cyclists werent causing the traffic jams, it was the lorry's and buses trying to get out. Marshall's had their hands full with it.

So I can imagine the concerns the council have. However, they cannot exactly stop cyclists cycling on the roads because there is simply 'too many of them'. We could say the same about cars in London. They clog up the streets because there is too many of them.

I was also there and the problem was caused not by the cyclists, but by the car driver rushing to get out of the town by the one road that was open. If they just waited for 60mins like I did after the finish, then it was a clear open road. Too many people seem to be in a rush and have no consideration for others. When you have multiple cars with one person in each car, that same amount of space can accommodate 40 cyclists, you tell me which is more of a problem???

katymac

"They are cycling as fast as they can on roads that are open to other traffic and that is a major safety issue."

Moaned at for holding up car drivers, now moaned at for going too fast... nobber..

Exactly! When I cycle as fast as I can up the winding road into Headley I usually reach the magnificent speed of 10mph or less. Going down the road I might reach 25-30 mph. So I'm probably holding people up but not exactly a major safety issue.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
The topic under debate was the council's proposed cycling strategy, I guess the event was held as part of the consultation process. Reading the overview, it appears to pro-cycling.

If anyone is interested in what Surrey council hope to achieve, here are the main aims:

Your posting seems rather optimistic and frankly reading the proposal I am waiting to be impressed.
1.6 million, wow, do they want to throw any more insults this way?

I am fed up of subsidising idiots on the road, where's the scheme to tackle the root cause of our ills, the idiots who still hold a licenese and are allowed to use our shared assest of the UK's roads?

Seperate cycle infrastructure is a patch and a way to avoid tackling the real cause of problems on the road, and that is nobber motons who cannot take care around vunerable road users.

I don't want more off-road cycle infrastructure, especially infrastructure that mixes me with pedestrians, the CS3 in London shows why these are a problem, as people will wander all over the place across the cycle path, why would I want to do 8mph on the cycle path and have to dodge suicidal peds when I can do 20-25mph on the road..?

What is the obession with small quiet roads?
I would rather cycle on the bigger roads here in London, as on the smaller roads there is no room to overtake safely where there is oncoming traffic, which means a greater increase risk of idiots doing stupid things.

And why is it that they want to tackle anti-social cycling? Where's the mention of tackling anti-social driving?

And why are "no through" routes for cars considered a non-starter?

When they talk about sending people on bikes on the direct routes, and sending cars on the non-direct route, instead of the other way around then I may sit up and pay attention, in the mean time I see this as nothing more than an attempt to tick boxes and placate people.

Or perhaps I am just too cynical, but then I have seen the botched pieces of crap that are supposed to be the London Cycle Super Highways, what a waste of f*n paint, hopefully the small segregated section of lane they are putting in between Stratford and Bow will provide a new and better standard and the rest of the CS2 will be upgraded to that same standard, but I will not be holding my breath, as I will probably be holidng it for another 20 years...

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I was also there and the problem was caused not by the cyclists, but by the car driver rushing to get out of the town by the one road that was open. If they just waited for 60mins like I did after the finish, then it was a clear open road. Too many people seem to be in a rush and have no consideration for others. When you have multiple cars with one person in each car, that same amount of space can accommodate 40 cyclists, you tell me which is more of a problem???

The bikes of course :rolleyes: (not really, I was being sarcastic)
Traffic jams are something not out of the norm, so they are quite happy to sit there in one :laugh:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
While I was working in San Francisco, I loved the bus bike carriers. I don't ever remember another bike on one, other than mine.
I see quite a few on the busses, and they seem to be older, but higher quality bikes than they used to be. I think the bicycle gets to ride for free.

Idoru

Pen Y Pass emptied within minutes of the race going through and frankly was a much more impressive sight as cyclists headed off in all directions with great big smiles on their faces.

I had a 30 minute walk back to the car from Pen Y Pass before heading back through Llanberis, yes it was busy when we got there and we had to queue up a bit (which was great, I got to watch all the bikes I can't afford going past me) but it was hardly gridlock by the time I went through. The disturbance to the town must have been gone within a couple of hours of the finish.

Llanberis was packed with people... some of them must have spent money in the local shops, I'm sure those businesses were happy to swap a few hours of road chaos for the money that the event brought into the local economy.

Top Bottom