they haven't got a clue!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
What happens if an 8 year old puts four D cell batteries on top of the kitchen range to "charge" them up a bit?;)

My mum was not amused:laugh:

Bman

Guru
Remembered this one earlier:

At school, Steven was trying to impress the class by showing that he could touch the drill bit of a pillar drill while it was on. Of course, the friction heated up his hand. So, to enable him to touch the drill bit for longer, he insulated his hand with the sleeve of his jumper (that he was wearing at the time)

The jumper caught on the drill bit, and pulled him straight towards the drill. Ripping the whole arm off the jumper and leaving him with scratches all up his arm!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
gary r said:
Two examples come to mind!
1/ my friend at the weekend cleaned his gas bar b que,threw away all the lava rock & replaced it with regular bar b que coals !!! He hasn't got a clue!;)

Well I can actually (almost) see a logic to that. I've never understood how gas BBQs work; in as much, how do they impart any smoky flavour ?

I've never used a gas BBQ, so what would happen if 'regular BBQ coals' were used ? Isn't the lava rock just used for 'cosmetic' purposes ?

Can anyone recommend a BBQ ?

Just in case we do get a bit of summer.

It is chucking it down here by Offa's Dyke. I pity anyone who may be walking it today.

Once put the bike on a roof rack on the car, went to a shopping mall, with multi level parking, suffice to say I forgot it was on the roof and went through the low bit, something fell off very loudly!

Once could not get a tape recorder to work, and I thought the cable was not in the socket properly, so proceeded to cut the plastic bit off the end, to expose the copper end bit thinking that would be easily touching.

Anyway plugged the socket in, and then went to pick up the cable from the end I just cut off, I never did that ever again ;)

pubrunner said:
Well I can actually (almost) see a logic to that. I've never understood how gas BBQs work; in as much, how do they impart any smoky flavour ?

The idea is meant to be that the fat/grease from the food being cooked drips onto the lava rock which, having been heated by the gas burners, vapourises and produces smoke which flavours the food.
ANd no, they don't impart any smoky flavour to the meat!:smile:

pubrunner said:
I've never used a gas BBQ, so what would happen if 'regular BBQ coals' were used ? Isn't the lava rock just used for 'cosmetic' purposes ?

See above for lava rock use. If you were to place 'regular BBQ coals', i.e briquettes of charcoal, then they'd light, adding rather to the heat output and defesating the whole object of a gas BBQ i.e. ease of turn-on-and-offableness :laugh:

pubrunner said:

Just in case we do get a bit of summer.QUOTE]

Yes, a Weber kettle (definitely not gas!) with a Weber BBQ Chimney Starter to light it, makes getting a charcoal BBQ going easy-peasy. You can cook whole chickens, joints of meat etc on a Weber kettle as well as the usual burgers and sausages, fabulous tool:becool:

'Course, if'n you really wanna get serious about yer Q (like me), you build yerself one o' these:

PICT0005-3.jpg

buggi

Bird Saviour
my brother used a piece of wood to make a ramp up the 4 inch kerb stone thinking he could ride his bike up it fast and clear the 3 foot high road sign that was two foot after the kerb. He spent the day in hospital after only clearing the ground by about one inch and riding straight into the road sign :biggrin:

my mum, when working for the MEB, demonstrating an electric fire, used a metal pen to point to one of the elements which promptly resulted in an electric shock that sent her flying to the other side of the shop.

my mum (who does not have much luck with electricity as you've probably guessed) kept getting an electric shock from the plug in the hall, when unplugging the vacuum. My dad couldn't understand it as no one else got a shock when they touched the plug, so he asked my mum to demonstrate. When she bent down to unplug the vacuum, she put her hand on the metal frame of the mirror screwed to the wall to steady herself. Turned out, when my dad put the mirror up, he screwed it through a live wire, and thus when my mum touched the mirror and the plug she "completed the circuit" LOL. i suppose it is my dad who is the muppet in this case.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Yeah but he did sort of outsource the expression of the muppetry.:biggrin:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
My girlfriend wanted to remove her broken mud guard recently ... so rather than wait for me to do it, she decided to do it herself ... she couldn't work out how it was attached to the frame (turns out it was just a couple of hex bolts), so she hacked it off with a pair of garden shears, bending several wheel spokes and almost slashing the tyre in the process. (no, she did not remove the wheel). :sad:

Proto

Legendary Member
The batteries in our portable radio were flat and my wife wanted to listen to something, so she looked around for a power lead. Unsuccessful, she started to think laterally, always a worry. She found something she thought might help, on the basis that the something:

1) was electrical

2) had a plug on each end, one of which looked like it might fit a socket in the radio

3) was black, like the radio

So she plugged it in, both ends, and was disappointed that the radio still wouldn't work.

She asked me for help. I had to tell her as gently as possible, that plugging a Nokia phone charger into the radio's aerial socket was not going to get the radio working.

I hope she's not reading this as I promised not to tell anyone.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
:sad:
Browser said:
The idea is meant to be that the fat/grease from the food being cooked drips onto the lava rock which, having been heated by the gas burners, vapourises and produces smoke which flavours the food.
ANd no, they don't impart any smoky flavour to the meat!:biggrin:

See above for lava rock use. If you were to place 'regular BBQ coals', i.e briquettes of charcoal, then they'd light, adding rather to the heat output and defesating the whole object of a gas BBQ i.e. ease of turn-on-and-offableness :biggrin:

pubrunner said:

Just in case we do get a bit of summer.QUOTE]

Yes, a Weber kettle (definitely not gas!) with a Weber BBQ Chimney Starter to light it, makes getting a charcoal BBQ going easy-peasy. You can cook whole chickens, joints of meat etc on a Weber kettle as well as the usual burgers and sausages, fabulous tool:becool:

'Course, if'n you really wanna get serious about yer Q (like me), you build yerself one o' these:

PICT0005-3.jpg

Cheers for the info !

I like your BBQ, but I'm not sure I'd have the skills to make one myself :sad:

justAl

My aunty makes her own semi skimmed milk. Buy one pint full fat, use half in custard, fill bottle with water and shake!!!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
When I first started shaving my legs as a teen, I was dead proud as punch that there were no nicks/cuts etc. I then continued to clean the hairs from the bic razor using my fingertip. :biggrin:

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
snapper_37 said:
When I first started shaving my legs as a teen, I was dead proud as punch that there were no nicks/cuts etc. I then continued to clean the hairs from the bic razor using my fingertip. :becool:

No Nicks or cuts from a BIC razor!!!! That must be a first:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom