Thief stole cyclist’s bike as he lay injured in road after Leeds crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Bike stolen after cyclist knocked off
sh.jpg

A cycling enthusiast has condemned the “disgraceful” thief who stole his £1,700 bike as he lay seriously injured in the road after being hit by a car.

Shane Fitzsimons was knocked out and smashed his left arm when he was run down by a 4x4 in Bramley.

Despite a number of witnesses stopping at the scene, his Saracen Ariel mountain bike was stolen as he drifted in and out of consciousness in the road.

Mr Fitzsimons said: “It’s absolutely disgraceful. There are some people who, if you laid there long enough, would chip the gold fillings out of your teeth.”

The 55-year-old, of Broadlea Road in Bramley, was on his way shopping when he was involved in a collision with a Mitsubishi Pajero on Broadlea Hill.

His head hit the windscreen, damaging the helmet he was wearing and causing him to black out. The impact left him with a broken wrist, arm, collar bone and rib.

He said: “As I was lying there in the road I saw this guy on the bike. I was in so much shock I couldn’t say anything and he rode off.”

Mr Fitzsimons, who works for an advertising company, has been off work since the incident, which happened on August 25.

He said police initially told him they had been given the name of a potential suspect and believes the bike is still on the Broadleas estate.

“It’s important to me to get it back,” he said. “It’s worth nearly as much as my car.”

Sgt Mo Gother, of the inner west neighbourhood policing team, said: “It’s appalling that someone would steal a bicycle while its owner was lying seriously injured after a road traffic collision.

“We carried out extensive enquiries to try to trace the suspect but have been unable to identify him. CCTV showed a male wheeling the bike away up Broadlea Hill but the footage was not of sufficient quality to identify him.

“There were some names suggested initially for people who were said to have the bike but these were followed up and eliminated from the enquiry.

“Although some time has passed since the incident we would welcome any new information from the community about who took the bike or its current whereabouts.”

The bike is a Saracen Ariel 161 mountain bike, with black Superstar handlebars with a blue clamp and Uberbike Components blue gear cables.

Anyone with any information should call the NPT via 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Could you steal a non-cyclist's bike?

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
isn't pajaero spanish for self-gratification artist (or sound similar)?
CORRECT :laugh:
ALSO WORTH A LOOK :rolleyes:

Top Bottom