Things I have learned today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Haven't added any here for a while

1) Raising your saddle just a little bit makes a difference
2) Some people are idiots, I was told today that shared use paths are only for children not adults
3) I can ride to town, visit two banks, get lunch, buy a theatre voucher and get back in an hour
4) Fog is eerie looking when you ride in it
5) Fleece lined gloves are from heaven.

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Not today but Wednesday

1) Ignoring weird sounds coming from your drive chain does not make them go away
2) Once again CycleChat is a font of knowledge
3) Cleaning your chain does not involve dirt going everywhere
4) Use a cotton cloth and not a towelling one otherwise bits get caught
5) Lube is not something to be scared of and is easy to apply
6) A newly cleaned and lubed chain is a thing of beauty to be relished.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Smithbat if you know how to use cooking oil you know how to use bike oil no probs!
Mind, you gonna end up like me, with more GT85 in the cupboard than olive oil.
Have you learned about measuring your chain for wear yet?

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Not today but Wednesday

1) Ignoring weird sounds coming from your drive chain does not make them go away
2) Once again CycleChat is a font of knowledge
3) Cleaning your chain does not involve dirt going everywhere
4) Use a cotton cloth and not a towelling one otherwise bits get caught
5) Lube is not something to be scared of and is easy to apply
6) A newly cleaned and lubed chain is a thing of beauty to be relished.

7) It's fount, not font.:laugh:

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

So another update

1) I can ride in the frost as long as I take it slow (not that I am fast anyway)
2) I am looking forward to my first 20 mile ride, last year the thought would have terrified me
3) Some drivers are nice and polite and let you out at junctions
4) Buying an extra battery for my front light was a good idea
5) Riding along a favourite path at night when it is flooded is both scary and thrilling

cubey

Über Member
After using the old Cube touring bike and purchasing a new Cube Attain Disc, today I learned just how atrocious the roads are regarding potholes ect........................:angry:

if you know how to use cooking oil you know how to use bike oil no probs! Mind, you gonna end up like me, with more GT85 in the cupboard than olive oil.

Dunno about bike oil... But I do have a gallon of chain saw oil in the garage. I'm vaguely assuming it's the same sort of stuff in the hope that it will spare me from yet another purchase this week... :laugh:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Dunno about bike oil... But I do have a gallon of chain saw oil in the garage. I'm vaguely assuming it's the same sort of stuff in the hope that it will spare me from yet another purchase this week... :laugh:
Chainsaw oil is good stuff for bike chains. Use it sparingly though or it gets messy. A drop on each roller and wipe off the excess thoroughly.:okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't I know it LOL! :laugh: Especially when it's cold. It gets really gloopy then, and it's a right devil to pour into the reservoir on the saw. :blush:
That's why so many professional chainsaws are set up at the factory to allow 'maximum oil' through onto the chain for cold weather use and why it pours out if you don't alter it for summer when the oil runs far easier.

Top Bottom