Things I have learned today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
I have also concluded that the guy driving the brand new black Golf along a country road today was probably not the most experienced or confident driver. Either that, or he was just a pain.

It’s great that he realised it was a designated “core path”, shared by cars, bikes and walkers.

It’s great that he realised that there was an advisory speed limit for cars of 30MPH, even though it was miles away from any civilisation.

And it’s great that he realised that as we climbed up the gently-winding hill, there wasn’t enough room for him to get past me, so he sat behind patiently for a few hundred yards.

It’s not so great that he sat practically ON my bumper rather than a bit behind... I think that made us both a bit nervous.

It’s great that when we got to the top of the hill, on a straight level section, slightly wider, he waited till I moved over towards the edge of the road and waved before he tried to pass me. Then he gently accelerated.

It’s not great that when he got level with me, he stopped accelerating, and stayed level doing about 20 MPH, while the road got narrower and narrower.

And once he eventually did get past, he didn’t go any faster.

I genuinely don’t think he was being awkward or driving aggressively - I think he just felt comfortable doing 20mph in the country, but also felt the need to be in front of any bikes!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I thought I was doing well going up this hill until ......... a young lad passed me and vanished in the distance! Young legs will always beat old ones.
That isn't true! I know several older riders who would trash MOST young riders. I witnessed a stunning example of that once on the Pendle Pedal sportive - DETAILS.

It IS true that GOOD young legs will USUALLY beat old legs.

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
So Maude and I went for a nice 6 miles round town this evening. These things I have learned.
1) My new full finger gloves keep my hands toastie warm.
2) Wearing my buff as a head band over my ears also keeps me toastie warm.
3) Riding at night is lovely, you lose yourself in your thoughts.
4) I will soon need long cycling bottoms for definite, my 3/4 length will not be warm enough for much longer.
5) The people who made the gemstone routes in Aylesbury are superb.
6) I need a decent front light, the torchy one I have is not going to cut it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom