Things I have learned today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Today I have learned :

That my Lidl/Crivit “Every tool you’ll ever need for your bike, and a few more that you’ll never need” kit.... does not contain any Torx bits or keys.

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
I have also learned that “Things break just before milestones”....

I’m 5 miles off having done 1000 miles on the new bike, and I broke a spoke... :-(

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you can't fix it, leave it alone and get a professional to do it. ( referring to derailleur).
Fixing them - maybe, but adjusting them - no! :okay:

There are lots of videos showing you how to do it, but really you just need to sit down and think about how they work. The clever bit (indexing) is done by the shifter. You just need to adjust the endstops to stop the chain falling off either end of the cassette. And adjust the tension in the cable so that the clicks in the shifter put the mech where you want it. It takes a couple of minutes at most.

If making the correct adjustments still doesn't get your gears working properly then you probably have too much friction in the cable. That could be due to cable routeing, worn outers, or dirt getting in.

Wheel building though ... I'd leave THAT to someone who knows what they are doing! :laugh:

bruce1530

Guru
If you can't fix it, leave it alone and get a professional to do it..

Disagree. If you can’t fix it, get help from someone who can. Not the same thing :-)

“Professional” just means someone who gets paid to fix things. “Professionalism” is all about skill, attitude, ability. They overlap, but are not the same :-)

I learned that sometimes a regular clicking sound as you pedal under power is not always the bottom bracket. I know many here have offered guidance about noises when pedalling, and I have previously changed my Hollowtech BB, because it's a used bike, new to me, and I had noticed a regular click on my 4th commute. The replacment BB was an SM-6800 for the oriinal SM6700, and was only £12, so I thought I would give it a go. After the 2nd ride, the click was back, so, to the next attempt at finding the culprit!
I took the pedals off, and left them upstanding, with a few decent sprays of lube, and during todays ride, the first since lubing, there was no Click! I tried with a lot of power, and in a high gear on a hill, and absolutely silent!
So, I'm thinking that my Sm-6700 should remain in the cupboard, as a spare! (what's the best way to store this?)
Woop Woop!! Me learning, gaining tools, and experience, all at age 50 :laugh:

I have to say, that I'm really not a beginner, but you never stop learning!

New
Things I learnt in the last 7 days
1. My 20 year old MTB was located in the garage and had not been abducted by aliens after a massive clear out
2. It is possible to ride it even though its only got 7 of the 21 gears it started with and apart from 3-in1ing the chain sometime last milleniumn has had no maintenance since it was purchased !
3. That I might not 'need' the coveted disc brakes on any new machine as I went out this morning for a quick 8 miles before work and hardly ever used any brakes (not counting when a large 'lorry' over took me and immediately pulled in and stopped about ten yards in front of me with out indicating . . . the idiot wouldn't have done it if I was a car .... Grrrrrrrrrrr)

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
sorry - wasn't criticising the languiage in any way - just pointing out that some people who claim to be "professionals" are not very good, and some "amateurs" are better than any profesional... :-)
No need to apologise, it is all taken in good humour.:okay:

Top Bottom