Things I have learned today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
A conclusion I've come to of late, if your bum goes up into the air, keep it there for a little while until the seat comes up to meet it.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
A conclusion I've come to of late, if your bum goes up into the air, keep it there for a little while until the seat comes up to meet it.

Eh..??

mybike

See you can avoid all of that by staying on nice tarmac roads and paths :bicycle:

The canal is relatively flat, the roads out of and into town are not and are very busy. It's not like your vale. :whistle:

But I enjoy the unmetalled paths as well and I found a rather fun byway near Cow Roast recently.:hyper:

Mind, I'm just back from Heacham and the path along the coast from there to Hunstanton is worse than any stretch of our local canal. There's a nice prom but no bikes allowed. :evil:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
The canal is relatively flat, the roads out of and into town are not and are very busy. It's not like your vale. :whistle:

But I enjoy the unmetalled paths as well and I found a rather fun byway near Cow Roast recently.:hyper:

Mind, I'm just back from Heacham and the path along the coast from there to Hunstanton is worse than any stretch of our local canal. There's a nice prom but no bikes allowed. :evil:
I haven't been down that way yet, I am too daunted by Aston Clinton Hill to get up there.

I am off to Heacham a week on Friday, can you really not cycle to Hunstanton along the prom?

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

It'll be great fun coming down on the way back.
That is very true, it is up there with North Marston Hill, Cublington Hill, the back road by Ellesborough Golf Course and the long pull up into Whitchurch on my list of things I will conquer one day. I will need to do the Cublington and North Marston ones for next year as they, along with Winchendon Hill are on the 60k course for the Tour De Vale and I want to ride it next year.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ty Mrs "SB" , yeah I only got my bike last Thursday and I've not cycled since I was in my early 20's in 2001. All of my family and friends have been really worried that a road bike would cause my back problems to flare up, which has not been the case, but find resting my hands on the hoods of the brake/gear levers is a bit uncomfortable (Also I find the Cannondale saddle is just not comfortable for me either), so I have ordered some really nice padded cycling gloves in bright yellow.

I would look a bit daft with the bright yellow gloves, as all of the other kit I have is either black or black with some white as I wanted it to match my lovely (new to me) bike I bought. Back in the mid 90's when I was in my mid teens and cycling all over Oxford, I wanted a Cannondale bike with the oversized tubing. I learnt that even if it takes 20 years, it does feel great when you finally are able to achieve getting something you thought would be impossible.

Mrs "SB", I would like to add how much I have enjoyed reading your thread and posts. It really has inspired me to press on with getting myself in better shape and helping me with the long term rehab I am doing with regards to a spinal injury. So thank you for sharing and making me realise that it's not as bad as I feared!
Bright yellow gloves are a good thing as when you stick your hand out to indicate they are far more 'visible'

mybike

I haven't been down that way yet, I am too daunted by Aston Clinton Hill to get up there.

A route via Wilstone and Aldbury might be viable. I rode from Aldbury to Berko a few weeks back.

I am off to Heacham a week on Friday, can you really not cycle to Hunstanton along the prom?

I saw a person coming off it but I'm very law abiding.

I hope you have better weather than we did. They've been surface dressing a few roads I'm afraid, Staithe Road and the roads around Nourse Drive. We stayed in a great cottage in Malthouse Crescent, can recommend it. There's a bike shop in the High Street if you need it,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

A route via Wilstone and Aldbury might be viable. I rode from Aldbury to Berko a few weeks back.

I saw a person coming off it but I'm very law abiding.

I hope you have better weather than we did. They've been surface dressing a few roads I'm afraid, Staithe Road and the roads around Nourse Drive. We stayed in a great cottage in Malthouse Crescent, can recommend it. There's a bike shop in the High Street if you need it,
We are hiring bikes from the bike shop because we don't have a carrier yet on the car and we are staying on South Beach in a caravan. Him Indoors' mum and dad had one for years and she hasn't been there for about 10 years so we are taking her for a week. We are not going until 9th so hopefully the worst of the surface dressing will have calmed down a bit....

Top Bottom