Things shouted at cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've had a couple of young women pull alongside me in a car and shout " show us your helmet".
I'm not sure what they meant. :ohmy:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I had a young lad lean out of his car window as I crossed with him at a level crossing and say "real men ride women". Kind of made me smile even though it was entirely inappropriate and offensive. At least he was trying albeit failing to be funny rather than the usual abuse.

I've had that one, too. Very aggressively from the front seat passenger in a taxi full of not very friendly looking males.
I let it go, and about 30 seconds later managed to think of suitable reply, but too late - they were gone. Maybe just as well, because the reply I came up with was "Who's riding your's just now, ya bellend?"

I had verbals from another car load of (male) idiots in a BMW drug dealer on wheels type thing the other day. Something less than complimentary judging by the tone, but could only make out the "ya f***ing helmet" since they were going about 60mph in the opposite direction. For once I was actually wearing one, so it wasn't a reference to my usual habit of being a non helmet wearer. Which, incidentally, has earned me the occasional shout from sanctimonious bellends on bikes concerned about my reckless lack of concern for my own safety :rolleyes:.

Verbal abuse and general aggression towards cyclists has taken quite a leap recently. Jealousy at the realisation of just how much they are paying to use a car?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've had a fair share of comments thrown out to me over the years. Some good and some not. But was always wary of riding through a certain nearby town close to bonfire night. Wasn't just words that were thrown.

Its like being in a proper war zone round bonfire night in loads of places. The government need to just have organized displays only but they wont because of the tax they get.

I am quite overweight, on and off.

A young lad on our street called me a "fat c*nt" out of his friend's car window once. On a separate occasion (when I was walking my dog) he called me a "dog f*cker".

I wrote the registration of the car down. And I knew where he lived anyway.

His mate was running in some local woods to me - I saw his car parked when I was taking my dog for a walk.

I looked at him as he sheepishly got into his car. And said that I didn't think he was man enough to say anything to my face.

He apologised and said it was his mate. I asked him if he wanted to be friends with someone who did that out of the window of his car. I told him about my "friend" who used to grope women in nightclubs when he was pissed and how often he ended up getting all of the rest of his friends involved in fights.

Then, I told him his address, and that if it happened again I'd be going round to talk to his mum.

Hasn't happened since.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Yesterday morning on the way to my club ride I was approaching a pinch-point.
Passenger in a car coming up behind shouted "MOVE OVER"
So I did - towards the middle, taking prime and preventing a dangerous overtake.

Very responsible of him to remind me, I thought.

They overtook me after the roundabout, about 30 yards later and went past at a safe distance shouting something fairly incomprehensible about a cycle path. I elected to ignore, as they were clearly angry sad-fork Daily Mail readers looking for a reaction. Then I forgot all about it (until afterwards) and thoroughly enjoyed a 62 mile ride :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
They always shout “single file” but we have been called “biker puffs” before.

It's amazing how many question why you wear lycra when they get Argy after nearly running you over , each to their own of course but they are liable to get an spd clear in the nads if they try to get to aggressive

Mike_P

Guru
Warm bank holidays are the worse IME with sarcastic comments being thrown from passing cars. Last year I finally I had enough when a car passenger insulted a slower cyclist on front of me and chased after them on a slow winding road giving them some choice words, they stopped, I turned down another road which was intended anyway. One that does stick on the mind was thats lazy from a fat slob in the back of a car whilst was on Shank's pony ambling the bike up a overly steep climb.

Out and about in a car this morning down a narrow country lane and a cyclist was shouting and gesturing for the driver to slow down, which would have been fair enough, had we not at the time been pulled over to a dead stop at the side of the road to let the cyclists through safely. :blink:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The most memorable one I had was when cycling somewhere near the tip in Plymouth one hot Sunday. Laira Bridge, I think. Pink maglia rosa, Briko Stinger shades, sweatband (Fignon-style).

Car draws alongside (it's an urban dual carriageway). Passenger says, in a tone completely and unexpectedly devoid of malice:

"Mate. What the f*** do you think you look like?"

Never wore that outfit again.

presta

Guru
I very rarely hear what they say, I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

One guy pulled along side, wound his window down and said "get a helmet!", it would have been tempting to say "I've got one, but I don't wear it on my head like you" if I'd thought of it.

A woman told me to oil my brakes when she was startled by them squealing.

I've had "there's a cycle path over there!" a couple of times.

On other rides with a friend, I get "Are you trying to catch him?" if I'm behind him and he races ahead.
On the way into Colchester one day there was a woman on a shopping bike just in front of me. As we passed a couple of women waiting at the bus stop, one of them said "you're out riding with the professionals today then, Gladys"

Young girl shouted nice arris at me one day. ☹️
I had a girl lean out of a car window and try to slap me on the 'arris.

Top Bottom