Things shouted at cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Once, when I was on holiday in the Alps, I got shouted at in Gloucestershire English in the middle of Annecy. I was wearing a Gloucester Rugby Club cycling jersey at the time. I'm not a particularly keen follower of the club, but when you are second row forward size it makes sense to get an outsize shirt from your local rugby club when they issue a special edition cycle shirt. In the middle of the park at the end of the lake in Annecy someone yelled "Glawstrrr!" loudly at me. I looked all around but never did have any clue where it came from. 600 miles from home.

On a different note
I went for a longer ride than normal today - mostly along canal paths
one long section is very narrow and can be bumpy - but very peaceful and beautiful
AT one point - away from anywhere - I can across a couple of narrow boats
quite scruffy and with rap music playing - loud but not too loud and not disturbing anyone
and the people - all male - had, mostly, long hair and looked cool - and had a couple of dogs, probably staffies (which is alway a worry but normally OK)
They were mostly at the side of the towpath 'doing stuff'

I approached, slowed down and rang my bell - they all immediatly moved out of the way - one bloke grabbed one of the dogs and as I went past he told the dog I was a cyclist - clearly training him/her

As I past the last boat I noticed that the steering position had an old leather sofa nailed to the deck instead ona normal wood seat

and the bloke that migth have been in charge shouted - thanks for that mush- in a very friendly manner

probably looked very dodgy - but were causing no problems and just lazing around -

PK99

Legendary Member
Had that plenty of times lol
Usually I don't answer, but on one occasion I pointed out the shared path sign.
The answer I got was " it means the road, not the pavement!"
Hopefully, they didn't have a driving licence, or we are all doomed :laugh:

I was more thinking of the shout I give to Pavement cyclists as I am forced to avoid them on a PEDESTRIAN pavement.

The one on Sunday passed me coming in the opposite direction between me and the kerb. Had I not moved they would have hit my shoulder and probably ended up sprawled in the road... a few months ago when I had a dislocated shoulder, I simply turned my good shoulder toward the guy riding toward me on the pavement and he bounced off.

A group of 8 cyclist's overtook me whilst I was out on a ride on a long drag up a gradient . As they disappeared off into the distance I shouted out . "Wait for me! ". :whistle:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Once, when I was on holiday in the Alps, I got shouted at in Gloucestershire English in the middle of Annecy. I was wearing a Gloucester Rugby Club cycling jersey at the time. I'm not a particularly keen follower of the club, but when you are second row forward size it makes sense to get an outsize shirt from your local rugby club when they issue a special edition cycle shirt. In the middle of the park at the end of the lake in Annecy someone yelled "Glawstrrr!" loudly at me. I looked all around but never did have any clue where it came from. 600 miles from home.

Lucky it wasn't me - I'd have shouted "have you traded in your tractor?" :tongue:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've not really had a lot (at least that I rememeber), thankfully... not really shouted but a couple of encounters:

Some years ago I recall a car full of young dickheads approaching behind me, giving long horn blows as they passed cyclists in an apparent effort to startle them. Did the same to me but it didn't have the desired effect as I was already aware of what they were doing, however it did piss me off. I chased them into town, caught up with them at some lights and gave both passengers on the LHS a good hosing through the open windows with dilute orange juice, before filtering through the traffic at speed and escaping down a side road :laugh:

Yesterday I was moseying along the tow path and came up behind a middle aged couple walking in the same direction; having left just about enough room for me to pass on the right. As I did I ran over a small dry twig that yielded with a bit of a crack - evidently previously unaware of my presence the woman visibly recoiled and exclaimed something, while the bloke let out a tortured and horrified "Oh, god!" :laugh:

Both ridiculously melodramatic over-reactions that might have been appropriate had I casually tossed the severed head of a kitten in their general direction as I passed.. I wonder if they could hear me laughing heartily as I disappered into the distance..

PK99

Legendary Member
Yesterday I was moseying along the tow path and came up behind a middle aged couple walking in the same direction; having left just about enough room for me to pass on the right. As I did I ran over a small dry twig that yielded with a bit of a crack - evidently previously unaware of my presence the woman visibly recoiled and exclaimed something, while the bloke let out a tortured and horrified "Oh, god!" :laugh:

Both ridiculously melodramatic over-reactions that might have been appropriate had I casually tossed the severed head of a kitten in their general direction as I passed.. I wonder if they could hear me laughing heartily as I disappered into the distance..

Why did you not give them the common courtesy of a friendly low-key warning as you came up to them from behind?

Ridiculous discourtesy from a dickhead cyclist?

Top Bottom