Things some idiot got wrong and now can't be put right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point

Real answer. Your body resistance was high enough for the current flowing to NOT cause the heart muscles to contract to the point of not operating.

10mA is the let go threshold . 30mA and above then dependent upon duration of the shock can cause Ventricular Fibrilation. Then you dies.

It's a lot more complex than that though. I can't post the table and chart as it's copyright. Unless I can find a commons media copy .

subaqua

What’s the point
I think it was a a connected neutral rather tha live as I was getting 100V or so.

Loose neutral somewhere back towards DB or intake .

What were you measuring between ?

It "could " be a broken Neutral on a PME system .

swansonj

Guru
Real answer. Your body resistance was high enough for the current flowing to NOT cause the heart muscles to contract to the point of not operating.

10mA is the let go threshold . 30mA and above then dependent upon duration of the shock can cause Ventricular Fibrilation. Then you dies.

It's a lot more complex than that though. I can't post the table and chart as it's copyright. Unless I can find a commons media copy .
^^that - plus the path the current took through the body. In one hand out the other takes it right across the heart and maximises risk. In right hand, out right leg keeps it further away from the heart. Old-school electricians had a mantra about keeping your left hand in your pocket when first touching a wire.

subaqua

What’s the point
^^that - plus the path the current took through the body. In one hand out the other takes it right across the heart and maximises risk. In right hand, out right leg keeps it further away from the heart. Old-school electricians had a mantra about keeping your left hand in your pocket when first touching a wire.

Can you tell I have been teaching today ! Instead of managing the engineering.

swansonj

Guru
^^^ learned something new there.
Then my life has not been wasted. Better to prove the wire dead before touching though....

subaqua

What’s the point
Unless they were weird left handers ...... :smile:

I still teach it today one hand in pocket till proved and confirmed dead.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Alright, I can see the sense in making Earth look different, but I still don't think Live should be brown, and Earth yellow and green. Why not make Earth brown and green, because that would be like earth with some grass growing on it. Then you could make live red, which is the colour of blood, so easy to remember. You have to be pretty colour blind to mistake blue with red, and if you can't make out a brown and green wire then maybe you need more light. At present I remember Live is brown by thinking, if I touch that it will turn me brown. I remember yellow and green in Earth by thinking grass grows on earth. Those aren't very good mnemonics.

No one's arguing in favour of electrons being negative.

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste

That's really interesting. Both times, I leant on an exposed wire with one hand (this was two separate occasions - I'm not that stupid!!) - on one occasion I had a pint in the other hand, and spilled it!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That's not a reason, is just a fact

OK...let me put it another way

Long, long ago, the hour was invented. Everyone stood around looking at the hour and thought it was great. But then some wiseguy piped up "Hey, what if I want to boil an egg or something, those hour thingies are useless for that"

So everyone stood around wondering what to do until a bright spark said "I know what we'll do, let's split the hour up into bits". There was much discussion as regards how to split the hour up. Finally a clever maths type dude said "How about 60 bits? That way you can easily get 1/2 an hour, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, 1/10, 1/12, 1/15, 1/20, 1/30 of an hour"

"I like it" said the guy who wanted to boil an egg. And thus, the minute was created as 1/60 of an hour. The End

Top Bottom