Things that go through a marathon plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have never ridden on Marathon + but I'm now curious about the quality ride on them. I ride mostly on Michelin 4 courses and Gatorskin 28c on another bike. Would I have a shock? If I were to replace the gatorskin. I'm preparing a bike for touring and maybe these are the tyres for it.
I've been using Marathon Plus tyres on my touring and road bikes for years, and have no problems with them. Some claim that they have a high rolling resistance, but I think the difference compared to other tyres is pretty small. Their puncture resistance is very good.

OP
OP
B

biking_fox

Guru
Rolling resistance is identical to standard Marathons (using Schwalbe's own data tables). They are heavier, so harder to accelerate but easier to maintain speed. Grip is decent but unexceptional. Puncture resistance is unrivalled.

This really. I swapped to them from Continental All Condition Pro (26x1.0) so the difference in weight and hence acceleration was massive. But once you're riding they seem fine, rolling resistance not at all bad even though they're 1/2" fatter. helped by the increased inertia once you are moving I think, Grip and cornering also fine.

If you're only on the road, then the weight probably isn't worth it. But I've started riding on a bike path, and even though it's tarmac'd it's massively harder on the tyres than the road, the contis were shredding in a couple of months, whereas the M+ still look essentially brand new after 6.

Top Bottom