Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why don't idiots in TV dramas ever have middle class accents? Apart from the occasional upper class twit they've always got regional accents. Do producers associate them with stupidity?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why do people cool their duvets in the freezer on hot nights? Wouldn't it make more sense just to leave the duvet off the bed altogether?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The Mona Lisa: what's so great about it?

I was just discussing this with my daughter! The Mona Lisa has to be the most overhyped, flaccid and boring painting going. It's just so.... oh I don't know, average? And "average" is being kind I feel.
I've read many accounts of why it's famous but I'm not convinced. I don't think it's a remotely interesting subject, it's dark, it's dreary, and (I hate to say this) but I don't feel it's painted that well, not held up against other, better portraits. I can think of ten in London alone that eclipse it in terms of painting quality and subject.

I can think of ten in London alone that eclipse it in terms of painting quality and subject.
Botticelli's Venus.
Rembrandt's Night Watch.
Almost any Canalletto.
Le dejeuner sur l'herbe.
Anything by Seurat, Mondrian' squares, Magritte, Gaugin, Renoir.

The list goes on and on. All good painters/paintings. But Mona Lisa? And you can't even see it properly behind the thick glass and hordes of selfie taking grockles.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Botticelli's Venus.
Rembrandt's Night Watch.
Almost any Canalletto.
Le dejeuner sur l'herbe.
Anything by Seurat, Mondrian' squares, Magritte, Gaugin, Renoir.

The list goes on and on. All good painters/paintings. But Mona Lisa? And you can't even see it properly behind the thick glass and hordes of selfie taking grockles.

:laugh:
And I was trying to be kind in thinking of only Portraits! Queen Anne and Bonnie Prince Charlie in the NPM are truly beautiful portraits, the Laughing Cavalier in the Wallace has cheek and charm, there are so many.

I agree with the crowds and the selfies, one of my favourites (Seurat's gorgeous "Bathers at Asnieres") is something you can actually sit and enjoy for as long as you like with only the odd selfie taker. I also sit with "The Execution of Lady Jane Grey" when I'm in the National Gallery, often largely alone for long periods on weekdays, everything about that painting has always moved me since a school art trip many decades ago.

They can keep the Muddy Lisa. :okay:

:laugh:
And I was trying to be kind in thinking of only Portraits! Queen Anne and Bonnie Prince Charlie in the NPM are truly beautiful portraits, the Laughing Cavalier in the Wallace has cheek and charm, there are so many.

I agree with the crowds and the selfies, one of my favourites (Seurat's gorgeous "Bathers at Asnieres") is something you can actually sit and enjoy for as long as you like with only the odd selfie taker. I also sit with "The Execution of Lady Jane Grey" when I'm in the National Gallery, often largely alone for long periods on weekdays, everything about that painting has always moved me since a school art trip many decades ago.

They can keep the Muddy Lisa. :okay:
Can't argue with any of that. In fact the subject of art and appreciation thereof could easily fill a whole thread on it's own.
(When we bought our first house we inherited a copy of Seurat's Bathers.....)

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
When a radio programme, in particular the Today programme on Radio 4 calls someone important about an important news item, and it's a bad line. Then they have to hang up or ring them back. It's only the 21st century. Why can't they get it sorted out?

Top Bottom