Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Assuming that you mean 1000, rather than 100, the answer is easy - Windows calculates kilobytes as 1024 bytes, Mac OS as 1000 bytes.
When I first started in IT - back when dinosaurs where roaming the Earth - the only people who used k were IT people
and it was used to show how much memory a computer had - and it meant 1024 because it was always a power of 2

unless it was measuring print lines per minute/second - in which case it meant 1000

so that was clear

at the time if you meant kilometres - you used km etc etc

I find it rather annoying when a technical term starts to get used outside its original sphere - and its meaning changes
then its meaning inside the original sphere become ambiguous - where the point in using it was to be clear

Hacking comes to mind as well - hacking is hacking - a kid reading instruction on a cheat sheet is not hacking!!!!!!
nor is anything labelled as a 'lifestyle hack'

grrrr
:angry:

Hacking comes to mind as well - hacking is hacking - a kid reading instruction on a cheat sheet is not hacking!!!!!!
nor is anything labelled as a 'lifestyle hack'

grrrr
:angry:
Top pedantry :notworthy:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Isn't there a kilobytes and kilibytes these days as well? In computer-speak, kilobyte meant 1024 bytes but then the non-computer-literate people came into the computing field and got confused and wanted kilobyte to mean 100 bytes. So the computer-literate people (the weaklings that they are) had to create a kilibyte to mean 1024.
Kilobyte does make sense in english, but computer geeks had their own thing going on.

No

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Well, if you can't tell the difference between a yellow fruit of one shape & a red one of a different shape by comparing the pictures on screen against the product in your basket, you eally should go to the manned tills!
So,you can't work out what the other fruit/veg' is i take it? :rolleyes:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Their maps aren't up to date either, so I've had to estimate our location in the middle of a field, so not exactly exact !
The housing developer would have had to pay to apply to the Local Authority to suggest and agree street names, the LA to then liaise with Royal Mail to allocate postcodes.

Without a postal address and a postcode the developers can't apply for MPAN numbers which allow them to order and fit gas and electric meters.

Every new development has to have street names and postcodes and every dwelling has to have a full postal address in place before it can be sold and registered with the Royal Mail and the Land Registry... so the upshot is you need to contact your local postal sorting office- they will tell you what your full postal address is..

classic33

Leg End Member
The housing developer would have had to pay to apply to the Local Authority to suggest and agree street names, the LA to then liaise with Royal Mail to allocate postcodes.

Without a postal address and a postcode the developers can't apply for MPAN numbers which allow them to order and fit gas and electric meters.

Every new development has to have street names and postcodes and every dwelling has to have a full postal address in place before it can be sold and registered with the Royal Mail and the Land Registry... so the upshot is you need to contact your local postal sorting office- they will tell you what your full postal address is..
There's a building not too far away that has three postcodes, and two different names.

Top Bottom