Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Been watching "28 Days Later" today. And it reminded me of something that has annoyed me tremendously, which may have already been mentioned....

When you have to turn up the volume to hear dialog in a film... and then IT SUDDENLY GETS LOUD WITH THE SOUNDTRACK. You turn it down, and then the next dialog you can barely hear it... so you turn it up.... and then......

It happens with so many films and tv shows. Why can't they balance the volume levels? Is it that hard? Is there a reason for this?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Been watching "28 Days Later" today. And it reminded me of something that has annoyed me tremendously, which may have already been mentioned....

When you have to turn up the volume to hear dialog in a film... and then IT SUDDENLY GETS LOUD WITH THE SOUNDTRACK. You turn it down, and then the next dialog you can barely hear it... so you turn it up.... and then......

It happens with so many films and tv shows. Why can't they balance the volume levels? Is it that hard? Is there a reason for this?
This really grates on me too. Especially as I listen to TV through my amp and speakers, but my amp has no remote control. So on quieter bits I have to turn up the volume on the TV remote which makes it all tinny and rubbish. I'm convinced it's because they want you to have it up loud for the speaking parts, so that when explosions etc come on, it really makes you jump and adds to the shock factor of the film.

Yup, irritating as hell. Basically it's because they've not altered the dynamic range from that used in a cinema, and it just doesn't work at home.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Also the sound mixers have state of the art equipment in their studio so it sounds ok to them, forgetting that most people just use the speakers in the back of their TV.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
How are we so terribly bad at knowing when and how to use lights on cars in this country?

It's not hard. If it's darker, rainy, or a bit foggy, put your headlights on.
When visibility is seriously reduced to 100m or less, you could put your fog lights on.

Not rocket science, and part of the driving training and test.

Today was murky at 3pm, maybe 500m visibility and darkish. A third of cars rightly had their headlights on. Another third had all fog lights blazing with no need. The other third were dim witted dim cars with no lights on, or sidelights which are as much use as tits on a fish.

Forks sake people, these are basics. 😡

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not really a long time,more a month or so but still annoying to me. I asked a window cleaner to clean my windows. I have/had a window cleaner but he wasn't very good. I was paying someone a fiver to 'clean' my windows with a water fed pole and brush. As a former window cleaner i know how crap windows look after using these things. They're ok for high rise building where a ladder can't reach,but IMO not good for houses.
I'll get to the point. The window cleaner with a ladder i asked must've told the one with the water fed pole, i'd asked him to do mine as the pole man hasn't been for 2 months,or contacted me seeing he has my phone number. I find that very unprofessional.🧐

Edit..When i say i asked the ladder man,i meant i asked for his contact number in case i needed him,not actually asked him to do mine. My dilemma is should i ask the tell tale to do mine? If i don't i suppose i'll have to do them myself which would be difficult as i don't have a ladder anymore...and i'd probably fall off the ladder if a had one!🙄

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
How are we so terribly bad at knowing when and how to use lights on cars in this country?

When visibility is seriously reduced to 100m or less, you could put your fog lights on.

Today was murky at 3pm, maybe 500m visibility and darkish. A third of cars rightly had their headlights on. Another third had all fog lights blazing with no need. The other third were dim witted dim cars with no lights on, or sidelights which are as much use as tits on a fish.

On Thursday night just gone we had a sudden heavy fog. I had to go out to somewhere in my car. I was driving cautiously and so were most other drivers. My complaint is that i saw 3 cars with only one headlight working. Two had the left light out which is bad enough,but the one with the right one out angered me. I thought back to my night time cycling days when as we know some will think a motorbike or scooter is approaching,and not see the hidden danger!

You will have to explain that one to me.

And the proportion of those with no lights on whose car is silver or gray “wet tarmac colour” is very high. Winds me up too!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Why has the price of mince pies gone up by 50%? Last year you could get six for a pound, now it's only four.
1606589594449.png

Why did they change the shape of condom foil packets?
They must have had some reason - they all seemed to have changed.

(yes I know this happened quite some time ago)

Top Bottom