Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
I wouldn't put it past him ..
Cat with an attitude , catitude .. nasty little b'std ..

Was Mr Darcy a virgin when he married Lizzie Bennet? He was in his late 20s and not exactly a loser. If not, who did he shag: domestic servants, peasant girls, harlots from Covent Garden, or a kept mistress in Derby perhaps?
I didn't know, but this is apparently a common question
Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 16.44.55.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKws0q_se0o&feature=youtu.be&t=260

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I didn't know, but this is apparently a common question

According to the prof, he may have been in the book, but it was unlikely in real life as he would have gone to university. Oxford and Cambridge had plenty of brothels to cater for the young gentlemen.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I lent someone £5, and some meths for their stove in 89. He seems to have forgot, can't work out why.

He didn't forget. In 1994 he gave someone £8 for some fuel to heat their house. In 1998 that person gave someone £12 for a warm coat in the very cold winter.

In 2024 some one will give you £50 for something you need.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Why don’t pairs of socks wear out (even closely) equally left and right?

Last edited:

Jason

when we "pigeon hole " people?

Pigeons look all the same to me, even if they are put into pigeon holes.
How does that help me differentiate between Boris, Theresa or Donald???

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
when we "pigeon hole " people?

Pigeons look all the same to me, even if they are put into pigeon holes.
How does that help me differentiate between Boris, Theresa or Donald???

I suppose 'pigeon hole' is one of those clichés which we all use, but don't know the origin of. There must be quite a few of those. Saying that, the only one I can think of now is 'pushing the envelope', which is almost management speak.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
'Pigeon hole' has its origins in the compartments of a pigeon coop, or dovecote. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pigeonhole

It doesn't undermine Jason's point about the pigeons all looking the same. The pigeon holes look pretty similar too. I suppose that's a separate point to using cliches we don't know the origin of.

Interesting, I thought it was something engineering related. I thought it was something to do with aerodynamics. That link has another example of a cliché that gets used without people knowing what it means: 'Beyond the Pale'

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It doesn't undermine Jason's point about the pigeons all looking the same. The pigeon holes look pretty similar too. I suppose that's a separate point to using cliches we don't know the origin of.

Interesting, I thought it was something engineering related. I thought it was something to do with aerodynamics. That link has another example of a cliché that gets used without people knowing what it means: 'Beyond the Pale'
Yes, that's interesting
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/beyond-the-pale.html

'The pigeon holes look pretty similar too' - isn't that the point - trying to fit into an existing limited category

Top Bottom