Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
you mean the top on skislope bar ends? Just another hand position.

Just another hand (and therefore back) position, although my bar ends are at least 15' off vertical, I'd say.

That makes sense. In the cases I see the ends tend to be 90° to the ground so that would seem to be the only way to hold them.

Still, if people are riding and enjoying it then that's fine by me...

Time to cook the spuds.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Why you see so few bar-end mirrors on bikes.

Ask yourself this question; why, like most cyclists, do you not fit a mirror onto your bike? I find it makes cycling a WHOLE lot safer, especially as you line yourself up for a descent. You frequently look behind you in your mirror when you're driving so why not when you're cycling? Never understood it, me. I have a really neat one fitted to my bar end, unobtrusive and undetectable when seen from the front and it gives me more security than riding without.

Why you see so few bar-end mirrors on bikes.

Ask yourself this question; why, like most cyclists, do you not fit a mirror onto your bike? I find it makes cycling a WHOLE lot safer, especially as you line yourself up for a descent. You frequently look behind you in your mirror when you're driving so why not when you're cycling? Never understood it, me. I have a really neat one fitted to my bar end, unobtrusive and undetectable when seen from the front and it gives me more security than riding without.

I see the point. Personally I prefer to turn because I think it makes the drivers aware I've seen them. I have absolutely no statistical backup for this, I hasten to add.

Of course it helps that I rarely ride on busy roads: I doubt I use them more than 1% of my cycling.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I see the point. Personally I prefer to turn because I think it makes the drivers aware I've seen them. I have absolutely no statistical backup for this, I hasten to add.

Of course it helps that I rarely ride on busy roads: I doubt I use them more than 1% of my cycling.
There is that of course. I'm thinking more of long descents when you're going at a fair lick and it's a bendy road. Far safer to just glance down and see if you're accompanied or not.

I've found that taking the lane eliminates almost every situation where a mirror would be useful. (plus of course moving predictably and smoothly, not randomly swerving across the road).

I don't doubt that a mirror gives you a more secure feeling, and that can be a good thing!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Why are some people so Anti-twitter? It's just another place to post sh1ts and giggles - just like this, or Facebook, or other fora.

Isn't it?
It does particularly seem to put the wind up some folks.

I personally don't use it much apart from occasional dry old farm union stuff.

Not cos it 'fears' me, in particular I'm just not keen to get involved in much else, from a time POV.

I'm on a couple of other fora, a bit of fb, insta, fb and reddit, now and again.

None of which are particularly scary either, you can filter what you see.

Some of the stuff people post on here from twitter - (or as some daringly!! call it on here 'twatter' - crikey!! ) - is variously interesting / witty / dull or dire, just like all the other platforms.

It's quite funny when people loftily tell us on here (on social media) that they 'dont do' social media though . :rolleyes:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
call it on here 'twatter'
Yes it's an odd one that, in fact the whole calling things names like faecesbook, wendyball etc, which I assume are supposed to be simultaneously humorous and convey your disdain and superiority.
Twitter is such a diverse platform that it strikes me as being a bit daft to write it off entirely, there's every type of person imaginable on there, and everyone is free to pick and choose. It's a bit like here in that there's such an assortment of people and views, but I can't think I've ever seen someone call this Cycle Twat cos there's some bits you don't like.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes it's an odd one that, in fact the whole calling things names like faecesbook, wendyball etc, which I assume are supposed to be simultaneously humorous and convey your disdain and superiority.
Twitter is such a diverse platform that it strikes me as being a bit daft to write it off entirely, there's every type of person imaginable on there, and everyone is free to pick and choose. It's a bit like here in that there's such an assortment of people and views, but I can't think I've ever seen someone call this Cycle Twat cos there's some bits you don't like.

As ever I think it tends to be ignorance and prejudice triumphing over the more complex reality.

For instance on Instagram I follow cyclists, farmers, dye makers, artists, horseriders, meteorologists, feminists, gardeners, activists, poets, philosophers, cooks, mountaineers, musicians, politicians, geologists, select family and friends, and plenty more besides.

No trout pouts, no buff guys flexing.

Despite that being what it's habitually written off as being all about, by people who clearly have no idea.

I've discovered fascinating things, places, and people on there.

Like here it's a cross section, and you can ignore stuff you don't like..

Farcebook is more complicated - there is genuine dislike/distrust of the company and its practices (which border on illegal). This is unfortunate, as amongst all the bilge there are perfectly nice people using it for perfectly nice things.

But I think Cycle Twat could catch on ...

PaulB

Legendary Member
You have to turn around to see what's in the blindspot anyway.
(and my bars slope down and backwards so in my case I'd just get a view of my thigh)
No, it's not a car mirror and I think all bars slope downwards and backwards. You've got to position your mirror accordingly.

Top Bottom