Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Also, isn't Winnie a girl's name?
Yes

200px-Harry_Colebourne_and_Winnie.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 5180401, member: 43827"]Who put the bomp in the bomp-pah-bomp-pah-bomp?

Plus

Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?[/QUOTE]
Wasn't it a man?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Also, what is a pooh in this context?

Pooh was the name Christopher Robin gave to a swan that he used to feed in the park. If he called the swan and it didn't come, he could pretend he was just saying "Pooh!" to show that he didn't care.

IIRC this is explained in one of the poems in When We Were Very Young but it's a long time since I've read it so my memory is hazy.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Who decided how much water was needed to flush away your toilet visit.There is always just enough.

Is there? The regulations used to stipulate a maximum cistern capacity of 7.5 litres but that was reduced to 6 litres a while ago, and newer toilets often require multiple flushes, which surely defeats the object of saving water.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
That link has another example of a cliché that gets used without people knowing what it means: 'Beyond the Pale'

Not that obscure really - pale (or palings) is still commonly used to mean a type of fence. IIRC, without checking that link, the pale from which we get the saying was the one around Dublin that marked the boundary of British rule.

Why do people keep talking when they have nothing interesting to say.:wacko:

Cocaine.

classic33

Leg End Member
Who was the cleverest of Winnie-the-Pooh's friends: Rabbit or Owl?
Also, what is a pooh in this context?

Also, isn't Winnie a girl's name? Perhaps it's short for Winston.
Male as well.
Winnie or Winny (\win-ny\) is a male and female given name of Welsh origin.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Utility bills as required proof of address. I haven't got any. All my utility bills are emailed me or are online. Ditto bank statements. I have got my TV licence and my contents insurance renewals, but they are not always less than 3 months old.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
In It Ain't Half Hot Mum, why does it take a colonel, a captain and a battalion sergeant major to organise a concert party comprising, at most, eight performers and several auxiliaries? I would have thought one lieutenant and a corporal would be enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom