Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Brexit

A5166.png

robjh

Legendary Member
When standing at the traffic lights, the box is lit up to show the button has been pressed, people still repeatedly jab the button, why?
It bothers me that pedestrians have to wait at all. Why, once the button is pressed, does it not stop the traffic straight away? A pedestrian could almost come to feel that they were a second-class road-user.

robjh

Legendary Member
Actually this one has only bothered me fairly recently. I am more and more impressed by my local MP even though she is a Tory. I keep wanting to congratulate her for taking a position at odds with the mainstream of her party, yet I cannot bring myself to vote for her.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Why is UK government so tribal & adversarial ? Why can't compromises be made in order to make things better for everyone ?

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Actually this one has only bothered me fairly recently. I am more and more impressed by my local MP even though she is a Tory. I keep wanting to congratulate her for taking a position at odds with the mainstream of her party, yet I cannot bring myself to vote for her.
I'm the same with our local labour councillor, but I DO vote for him because he's the only one who seems to care about the local community. He calls at all the houses along our road at least four times a year to see if we have any problems he can address for us - but I've been here almost 11 years and have yet to see a liberal or tory councillor. Nowadays I vote for the person rather than the party.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Some buttons are cosmetic only. Especially at large junctions. They only exist to give the pedestrian a feeling of control. But the lights follow a pre set sequence.
On single crossings the time between pressing the button and the traffic stopping is often related to how recently the lights changed. If no one has pressed the button for ages it will change almost instantly.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Why is toilet paper getting smaller?
It’s not, your bum is getting bigger. :tongue:

Old jon

Guru
How much of the cost of a can of cola or a bottle of squash is the can or bottle itself?

Well, you asked the question.
One can maker, or one body maker, will produce 350 cans per minute. twenty four hours per day, 365 days a year for about ten years before it needs a rebuild. A can costs sweet fanny adams. The transport costs more than the can. That said, often the contents cost less than the advertising. I know quite a bit more about how much the can costs.

woodbutcher

Veteran
With apologise to Ian Dury and bothersome Brexit here is my offering (its a wet day and can't work up cycling enthusiasm ) :rain:
OUR THERESA
who art in Union
referendum be thy name
thy backstop come
thy tariffs done
in Britain as Incontinent
Give us this day our Brexit thread
And forgive us our barriers
As we forgive those who
Barrier against us
Lead us not into Transition
And Deliver us from options