Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Peking and Bombay: why do we now call them Beijing and Mumbai? We don't insist the French call London London and not Londres. The Germans are fairly relaxed about us calling Koln Cologne. Alright, Beijing and Mumbai might be a little closer to the native pronunciation, but if you say them in a British accent, it is not going to sound anything like the natives would say it.
I think it’s to do with their colonial past.

Same with Rhodesia and Ceylon.

Why did the BBC cancel the John Sullivan (I think that was his name) sitcom Dear John after the second series? I thought it was a bloody good show, at least as good as Just Good Friends and Citizen Smith, both of which went on for years. I wanted to know if Kirk got off with Tiger, and now I'll never know.
Yes i remember that - about a recently divorced chap?
Never seen it repeated either.

Cats and dogs homes. I mean they generally hate each other. What sort of warped individual thought them up?
Good job they were marched off before they created their planned chain of cat and canary playgrounds.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What's the point of Muslim girls wearing headscarves to protect their modesty if they're also going to wear skin-tight leggings that leave nothing to the imagination?
I think we'll ponder this quietly rather than dare speculate online :smile:
not dissing your post I stress.

In the New Testament, Jesus talks about separating the wheat from the chaff, and the sheep from the goats. What is wrong with goats? I like them, probably more than sheep. I gather chaff is the waste byproduct of wheat, although I don't know for sure.
yep, bible full of wonky stuff to confuse/warp kids.
Now and again think of my sunday school days - I do remember even as a very small kid being somewhat confused by some of the apparent "lessons" or "good noble behaviour" in the Old Testament in particular. As I grew older I quite naturally figured out that my confusion was because so much of it was seriously warped. Which is kind of encouraging - shows that small kids may very well have more innate sense of good than that twisted jealous vengeful god.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Sellotape was referred to as sticky tape.

SBP was fablon.. This is important stuff to get right

BTW did anyone, ever manage to cover anything with it, without at least one air bubble arising??

On account of all their vices obv..
The way to prevent** bubbles when using Fablon........
Have a stanley knife, a hammer and lots of swear words handy.
**for prevent insert cure ^_^

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Now and again think of my sunday school days - I do remember even as a very small kid being somewhat confused by some of the apparent "lessons" or "good noble behaviour" in the Old Testament in particular. As I grew older I quite naturally figured out that my confusion was because so much of it was seriously warped. Which is kind of encouraging - shows that small kids may very well have more innate sense of good than that twisted jealous vengeful god.
I remember thinking that if I was the prodigal son's brother I'd be well pissed off.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

I know I was a better, less bigoted person as a child. I wanted us to stay in the EEC in the 1975 referendum, and I supported Scotland in the 1978 World Cup, because they were representing Britain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom