Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'd agree that female cashiers tend to be quicker then men. I used to think it was because women had longer fingers and could press the till keys faster but they're still quicker with barcodes.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Why does the stairwell in our apartment building smell of boiled cabbage?
Dead mice smell like boiled cabbage.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Why does British industry take so long to complete large projects when we used to knock them out quite quickly? It took Britain about 5 years from drawing board to cutting the ribbon to build Calder Hall, our first nuclear power station. That was just after the war when the country was skint. A new nuclear power station would take about 15 years about twice as much as predicted. I think I read it took de Havilland about 23 months for Mosquitoes to start coming off the production line. I once went for an interview for a job doing some software development for the Euro-fighter when I was about 22. I was middle-aged before it eventually went into service.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I once went for an interview for a job doing some software development for the Euro-fighter when I was about 22. I was middle-aged before it eventually went into service.
I went for an interview to be an instruction manual writer with ICL - Britain's supposed answer to IBM (known internally, in passing, I was told, as 'It'll Come Later') - where among others we were introduced to graduates in the positions we would be in if successful. The guy I spoke to said he'd been working there for eight years, diligently churning out copy for projects which, one after another, were cancelled before ever coming to fruition. Not a word he had written in all that time had ever seen the light of day. They offered me the job. I declined.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Why is Tim Wottacont (sp?) still employed?
Because of his obnoxious behaviour, stall holders at various antique fairs made it clear to program producers that they would not co-operate if he was allowed anywhere near their stalls, so he no longer presents any of the many and various BBC antiques shows.
Instead, he seems to do voice-overs on them, mainly notable for his annoyingly stupid random noises, presumably all pre-recorded and spurted out at the touch of a button. Please let him follow the example of John McCririck and retire into obscurity.

A shop assistant at a local supermarket commented when i bought a tin of shoe polish that in her three years of working there i was the only customer she'd served who'd bought a tin of the stuff. Not only once she added,but twice. I complimented her on her memory ability and went away thinking how sad it is that not many folk polish their shoes these days.:thumbsdown:
It's an original line for sure but maybe she fancies you.

Top Bottom