Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I can answer that part..........cos I'm dead dead clever like.
The word hell comes from the Hebrew/greek words hades & sheol...............these translate as 'the grave' or mankind's common grave. There is an old English phrase "helling the potatoes" which meant putting them in the ground.
So......when it says he went to hell---it meant he went into the grave.
Or so I was led to believe.

I believe Hell actually comes from Norse. People unfortunate not to die in battle went there, only it was a cold and dreary place, not hot. In the King James version, Sheol was translated as the Pit. This bothered me because there was one book in the OT where one of the prophets was saying to God: don't we all end up in the Pit. I wondered why that was? Surely that prophet was one of the good guys who deserved a berth in heaven. I wondered whether it was because Jesus hadn't yet arrived on Earth to put right Adam's original sin. It seemed jolly unfair on all the people who died before that point. Incidentally, I have read Sheol described as a place of eternal soul-sleep, where the warrior goes to sleep next to the slave. It's the only form of afterlife that has ever sounded the least bit appealing to me. The Jews of antiquity did not really believe in much of an afterlife, although opinions differed between the sects. Interestingly, I once read the autobiography of a young delinquent who acted as a manager for Iggy Pop. He had a near death experience after an overdose, in which he went to hell. He said it was blue. That is interesting because brimstone is another word for sulphur, which burns with a blue flame.

rikki

Legendary Member
another thing that bothers me is, if bacon has been cured, what was wrong with it..

I don't know, but it appears to have been fatal.

Top Bottom