1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

things that I don't really understand.....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by walker, 16 Jan 2008.

1. walker

walker New Member

The Sun, as in the big orange thing in the sky. How do scientist's know what its made of if they can't get close enough to do any test's?

Men in Skinny leg jeans, Why do you want to show everyone you havn't had a good meal since easter 2003?

2. hambones

hambones Well-Known Member

The elemental composition of the sun and any star for that matter is determined from emission and absorption spectra. Each element has a characteristic spectrum.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/suncomp.html

3. walker

walker New Member

The table of elements at left was constructed from analysis of the solar spectrum, which comes from the photosphere and chromosphere of the Sun. But it is thought to be representative of the entire Sun with the exception of the solar core because of the degree of mixing which takes place between the layers of the Sun's interior.

thought, not is.

4. biking_fox

biking_fox Über Member

That's scientific nicety coming to the fore. If they haven't tested every single part of it, they won't say it's all made of this. They'll say, the bit we tested was this, and for the following reasons we believe the bit we tested was representative of the whole - this can be shortened to "is though to"

Technically the sun could change to a completely different composition every time some stops looking at it, and then change back again. But this seems unlikely.

All other predictive models based on the observed composition, produce the answer consistant with the given composition. Until further evidence arrives that the composition is different, scientists will say the sun is made of this, and allow for the very slight possability that it might not be.

5. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

You forgot to add "apostrophes" and "grammar" to your list.

*sits back, feeling like a smart-arse*

6. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

Thwe moon is made of cheese. FACT.
    Therefore, it stands to reason that the sun is a giant jaffa cake with the chocolate eaten off the top.

7. red_tom

red_tom New Member

Get the Science with Dr Karl podcast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/drkarl/

It's a great program. He answers caller's random science questions with an amazing level of enthusiasm. The other presenter tends to normally be a bit of a drongo though...

8. walker

walker New Member

Fnaar, why does it take you to make sense of it all ;)

9. I thought the Sun had a red top and was full of crap ;)

10. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

They don't know, they are just guessing and telling us this stuff because they know that we have got feck all chance of dis-proving it.

i don't believe that man travelled to the moon. it's bullcr@p

and the earth is flat too.

11. papercorn2000

papercorn2000 Senior Member

Escape velocity. That one has always got me. I've read it up and, damn, I have taught it. I just don't believe it.

12. beanzontoast

beanzontoast Veteran

Twinkle, twinkle little star,
    We know exactly what you are!
    Nuclear furnace in the sky,
    You'll burn to ashes bye and bye...

A physicist mate taught me that one. He also told me it takes light from the Sun 8 minutes to reach Earth, so what we are seeing is the Sun as it was 8 minutes ago.

In fact, maybe it's not there any more and we haven't realised yet?

13. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

how do they actually KNOW that the moon causes the tides? have they removed the moon at any point to confirm the sea does nothing?

14. Pete

Pete Guest

Walker, you need to go here. A whole big forum out there full of people who think like you. Enjoy!

See if you can spot my posts. Tip: not under the name "Pete".

15. Pete

Pete Guest

Nothing is 'there' unless someone can see it's there. Indeed, to take it further, nothing is 'there' for you unless you personally can see it's there. That's called solipsism, I think.

Here's another well-known jingle on the same topic:
    I'll leave it to someone else to fill in with the second verse! ;)