things that I don't really understand.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

The Sun, as in the big orange thing in the sky. How do scientist's know what its made of if they can't get close enough to do any test's?

Men in Skinny leg jeans, Why do you want to show everyone you havn't had a good meal since easter 2003?

hambones

The elemental composition of the sun and any star for that matter is determined from emission and absorption spectra. Each element has a characteristic spectrum.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/suncomp.html

OP
OP
walker

walker

The table of elements at left was constructed from analysis of the solar spectrum, which comes from the photosphere and chromosphere of the Sun. But it is thought to be representative of the entire Sun with the exception of the solar core because of the degree of mixing which takes place between the layers of the Sun's interior.

thought, not is.

biking_fox

Guru
thought, not is.

That's scientific nicety coming to the fore. If they haven't tested every single part of it, they won't say it's all made of this. They'll say, the bit we tested was this, and for the following reasons we believe the bit we tested was representative of the whole - this can be shortened to "is though to"

Technically the sun could change to a completely different composition every time some stops looking at it, and then change back again. But this seems unlikely.

All other predictive models based on the observed composition, produce the answer consistant with the given composition. Until further evidence arrives that the composition is different, scientists will say the sun is made of this, and allow for the very slight possability that it might not be.

walker said:
The Sun, as in the big orange thing in the sky. How do scientist's know what its made of if they can't get close enough to do any test's?

Men in Skinny leg jeans, Why do you want to show everyone you havn't had a good meal since easter 2003?

You forgot to add "apostrophes" and "grammar" to your list.

*sits back, feeling like a smart-arse*

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thwe moon is made of cheese. FACT.
Therefore, it stands to reason that the sun is a giant jaffa cake with the chocolate eaten off the top.

OP
OP
walker

walker

Fnaar said:
Thwe moon is made of cheese. FACT.
Therefore, it stands to reason that the sun is a giant jaffa cake with the chocolate eaten off the top.

Fnaar, why does it take you to make sense of it all ;)

I thought the Sun had a red top and was full of crap ;)

buggi

Bird Saviour
They don't know, they are just guessing and telling us this stuff because they know that we have got feck all chance of dis-proving it.

i don't believe that man travelled to the moon. it's bullcr@p

and the earth is flat too.

Twinkle, twinkle little star,
We know exactly what you are!
Nuclear furnace in the sky,
You'll burn to ashes bye and bye...

A physicist mate taught me that one. He also told me it takes light from the Sun 8 minutes to reach Earth, so what we are seeing is the Sun as it was 8 minutes ago.

In fact, maybe it's not there any more and we haven't realised yet?

how do they actually KNOW that the moon causes the tides? have they removed the moon at any point to confirm the sea does nothing?

Pete

Walker, you need to go here. A whole big forum out there full of people who think like you. Enjoy!

See if you can spot my posts. Tip: not under the name "Pete".

Pete

beanzontoast said:
In fact, maybe it's not there any more and we haven't realised yet?
Nothing is 'there' unless someone can see it's there. Indeed, to take it further, nothing is 'there' for you unless you personally can see it's there. That's called solipsism, I think.

Here's another well-known jingle on the same topic:
There was a young man who said "God,
Must find it exceedingly odd,
To think that the tree,
Should continue to be,
When there's no one about in the quad."
I'll leave it to someone else to fill in with the second verse! ;)

Top Bottom