Things that really annoy you ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
People who start every conversation with 'So, ...'.

Nope, I still don't agree. Consider:

'These windmills are some of the only working windmills in the country.'

'This particular windmill is one of the only working windmills in the country.'

See? This windmill is a member of (one of) the set only-working-windmills-in-the-country.

I do concede that most occurrences of the phrase are probably inappropriate. But it's not necessarily always the case.

I'm sorry. On this you are wrong. I will accept no arguments. And I'm always right, as your other half found out on Saturday...;)

No, really, I don't see it. 'Only' is unique. You can't be 'one of the only', you 'are' the only. Neither of your statements are correct to me. If you are part of a set (of working windmills), you are part of 'a few', not part of, or some of 'the only'.

"only-working-windmills-in-the-country" is not correct. It's 'only working windmill' (singular), or 'few working windmills' (plural).

Carwash

Señor Member
Arch said:
I'm sorry. On this you are wrong. I will accept no arguments. And I'm always right, as your other half found out on Saturday...;)

No, really, I don't see it. 'Only' is unique. You can't be 'one of the only', you 'are' the only. Neither of your statements are correct to me. If you are part of a set (of working windmills), you are part of 'a few', not part of, or some of 'the only'.

"only-working-windmills-in-the-country" is not correct. It's 'only working windmill' (singular), or 'few working windmills' (plural).

So you would never say, for example, 'These are the only cakes left.'? What would you say instead?

simoncc

Burglar alarms on houses. I don't see the point of them. If you are out, why do the neighbours need to know you are being burgled, or much more likely, have bought yourself a dodgy alarm?

Tim Bennet. said:
People who loose their sense of proportion and start to get annoyed by trivial things.

This sort of stuff can only get to you if you want it to. Rub some more oil into your 'ducks back' and get on with life. There'll be plenty of real things to piss you off along soon enough.

What is real to one is trivial to another...loosen up Tim, it's only the café (Ooops - 'only' again Arch ;))

walker

getting up to go to work.

New English residence who fail to talk English.

MacDonalds, Just coz.

People with a distinct lack of manners

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Things that really annoy you ...

That tall bloke on TG !!!!! ;) xx(

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
So you would never say, for example, 'These are the only cakes left.'? What would you say instead?

No I would say that, it's true. But I wouldn't say that one of them was one of the only cakes left. It is ok to describe a group of things as the only ones left (when I said ' "only-working-windmills-in-the-country" is not correct', i meant in terms of your "This windmill is a member of (one of) the set only-working-windmills-in-the-country") . I just wouldn't describe one of them as 'one of the only'.

Am I completely alone on this one? It just grates, really badly, whenever I hear it, and I'm normally pretty instinctive about language sounding right.

Oh well, there goes another downward spiral of self doubt...

Actually, you know what, I don't care what you think. It annoys me and I'm sticking to that. <sticks tongue out and runs away>

postman

Legendary Member
Driving standards on the school run.King Lane the main road out of Leeds 17. Grid locked during rush hour.Two lanes down towards roundabout.Arrows painted on road two of them .Turning right only using this lane.No it is quicker to the front so i can then cut you up by turning across you to go left.Cos i am a p k.And i dont do waiting.Iam waiting for the first crash .then i will offer my services as a witness.GET IN LANE PLEEEEASE.

jashburnham

The tube - on the rare occasion I'm forced to use it.
People their mobile phone's speakers to play music in public.
Overuse of the word like: "I was like well busy, but they were like we don't care"... etc etc ;)
Cyclists that commute in the dark with NO LIGHTS. xx(
This incessant rain.:smile:

Carwash

Señor Member
Arch said:
No I would say that, it's true. But I wouldn't say that one of them was one of the only cakes left.

Why on earth not? If those are the only cakes left, then one of those cakes must be one of the only cakes left. Surely?

Arch said:
Am I completely alone on this one? It just grates, really badly, whenever I hear it, and I'm normally pretty instinctive about language sounding right.

Oh well, there goes another downward spiral of self doubt...

Actually, you know what, I don't care what you think. It annoys me and I'm sticking to that. <sticks tongue out and runs away>

Fine, fine. I do agree that it's overused and frequently inappropriate, and that yes, in those circumstances it's annoying. But it's not logically or grammatically wrong.

I hate sentences that start with "What it is, right..." - unfortunately most of our customers at work seem to love that one as a conversation starter - not even a "Hello" or "My name is..." first - or, even better, their address, so I could actually find their details. No, "What it is, right, the thing in the bathroom is broke" - Very helpful, not!!! And extremely annoying!!! ;)

Top Bottom