Things that really annoy you ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I've said it before but: deliberate and aggressive ignorance - i.e.: people who point-blank refuse to educate themselves about anything but still think that their opinions matter. Being ignorant about things is unavoidable. Refusing to learn is inexcusable.

Pete

People who argue interminably about some obscure point of English semantics.

(*ducks for cover*)

People who put italic stage-direction-type comments between asterisks, in the middle of a post on an internet forum. ;)

Complete strangers who begin a conversation with "how are you?". Cold callers especially. Feel like responding "I was fine until you called..." Interviewees on the Today program who ask John Humphrys "How are you?". As if we cared how John Humphrys is today...

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
This morning.... got text from t-mobile, asking me to phone Mr X and Miss Y at my local branch to discuss phone upgrade and/or discount on pay monthly contract. So, I phone number, speak to X, who tells me that they can't discuss individual matters over the phone, due to data protection. Well why did you text me then, and ask me to phone, I reasonably asked.
To talk about upgrades and contracts, says he. But you can't do that over the phone, I respond? No, says he, you have to come in to the shop. Why not put that in the text? He gets confused, i hang up mid-sentence!
;):ohmy::angry:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
The use of the word 'well' when people mean 'very'.

Carwash said:
But it's not logically or grammatically wrong.
Oh but it is! Consider the original sentence by Arch "It's one of the only working windmills in the county..." What part of speech is 'only'? 'Only' can be used as a conjunction, adjective or adverb. Is it being used as a conjunction here? No. As an adverb? It's not modifying a verb so it must be an adjective. One definition of 'only' as used as an adjective is 'being the single one or the relatively few of the kind.'
With the windmill example, we can say "There are only 6 working windmills left in the UK." which refers to the second part of the definition (relatively few); if there was one windmill left then that would be promoted to 'The only windmill'. You could emphasise it as 'The one and only..."
So 'only' refers to one singular item (The one and only Mr Hippo) or one class of items (Only cakes), there can never be 'One of the only...'

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Pedants, definitely.
Ignorance.
People who won't change the default language in MS Word to English English.
Irony.
Sarchasm.
Inappropriate Smilie usage.

Arch

Married to Night Train
mr_hippo said:
Oh but it is! Consider the original sentence by Arch "It's one of the only working windmills in the county..." What part of speech is 'only'? 'Only' can be used as a conjunction, adjective or adverb. Is it being used as a conjunction here? No. As an adverb? It's not modifying a verb so it must be an adjective. One definition of 'only' as used as an adjective is 'being the single one or the relatively few of the kind.'
With the windmill example, we can say "There are only 6 working windmills left in the UK." which refers to the second part of the definition (relatively few); if there was one windmill left then that would be promoted to 'The only windmill'. You could emphasise it as 'The one and only..."
So 'only' refers to one singular item (The one and only Mr Hippo) or one class of items (Only cakes), there can never be 'One of the only...'

Hooray! You agree. And you NEVER give up...;)

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Flying_Monkey said:
I've said it before but: deliberate and aggressive ignorance - i.e.: people who point-blank refuse to educate themselves about anything but still think that their opinions matter. Being ignorant about things in unavoidable. Refusing to learn is inexcusable.

Even more inexcusable when they are 50 something, been doing it for at least 4 years, have access to minors for educational purposes and display no manners, prospective or humour ;)

Increasing use of 'over' in BBC news, both on R4 and website/teletext, e.g. Men arrested over murders
- surely you mean 'for' ?

Incorrect use of literally, e.g. "it was literally raining cats & dogs"
- really ? I'd like to see that !

People on this site thinking you spell kerb 'curb'

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, oh, and people using 'evidently', when they mean 'apparently'. As in someone saying "evidently, he did so and so", when they are recounting something someone else told them, not something they have independant evidence for.

I expect Carwash will disagree on this one as well.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Using "refute" instead of "deny" - as in "I completely refute your allegation".

Using "waiting on" instead of "waiting for".

Carwash

Señor Member
Arch said:
Oh, oh, and people using 'evidently', when they mean 'apparently'. As in someone saying "evidently, he did so and so", when they are recounting something someone else told them, not something they have independant evidence for.

I expect Carwash will disagree on this one as well.

Quite the contrary. I myself have never heard 'evidently' (ab)used in that way, and frankly your report shocks and depresses me. Still, I suppose language changes, so we shouldn't be too surprised...

Top Bottom