Things that really annoy you ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Carwash, is English your native language? An ellipsis is used to denote missing words; you say 'it doesn't follow on from anything because there's nothing to follow on from.' therefore your use of an ellipsis in '...so, I accidentally ate my own legs.' is wrong by your own 'admission'.
Can we start sentences with 'so'? So many people have asked me that question and I will be pleased to answer that tomorrow.

It is now 11 o'clock here and so to bed!

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
mr_hippo said:
Can we start sentences with 'so'? So many people have asked me that question and I will be pleased to answer that tomorrow.

Strewth, thank heavens I'm out most of the day.

Carwash

Señor Member
mr_hippo said:
Carwash, is English your native language? An ellipsis is used to denote missing words; you say 'it doesn't follow on from anything because there's nothing to follow on from.' therefore your use of an ellipsis in '...so, I accidentally ate my own legs.' is wrong by your own 'admission'.

It is now 11 o'clock here and so to bed!

Of course you can start a sentence with 'so'. I'm not arguing that at all. I'm talking about starting a conversation - from cold - with 'so' specifically as if to refer to something that has been said previously.

My point is that it sounds somehow wrong to start a conversation like this. In the context of the conversation, nothing has been said previously, so there's nothing to refer back to.

I'm not arguing that there's anything grammatically wrong with that, merely that it sounds odd (and annoying), as though you've come in halfway through the conversation or there's some lacuna. Hence my ellipsis remark.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Carwash said:
Of course you can start a sentence with 'so'. I'm not arguing that at all. I'm talking about starting a conversation - from cold - with 'so' specifically as if to refer to something that has been said previously.

My point is that it sounds somehow wrong to start a conversation like this. In the context of the conversation, nothing has been said previously, so there's nothing to refer back to.

I'm not arguing that there's anything grammatically wrong with that, merely that it sounds odd (and annoying), as though you've come in halfway through the conversation or there's some lacuna. Hence my ellipsis remark.

Unless of course you're Elwood in the Blues Brothers: "So, would you like to, er, meet ... after the show?"

Carwash

Señor Member
Andy in Sig said:
Unless of course you're Elwood in the Blues Brothers: "So, would you like to, er, meet ... after the show?"

:blush:

(Although again, that's not what I'm talking about, as it's not referring to anything previously said. Ah, forget it - I'm evidently apparently clearly having a hard time explaining what I mean, and it doesn't annoy me all that much!)

Pete

...and me, too. I can't make sense of all this argufying. I once stumbled across an internet forum in which someone had just been Moderated (and not merely Moderated, had their Account Suspended :blush::ohmy::ohmy: ) for the heinous crime of persistent spelling and grammatical errors. Should such a regime be imposed here?

Elmer Fudd said:
Newsreaders on Central News who say Birmigham. It's Birmingham !
It's got a bloody N in it :blush:

Yes, but if they have a Brummie accent and want to pronounce the name of their city like that, I say they have the right to !

Unlike BBC-English received pronunciation newsreaders in the BBC newroom Down South who mispronounce places like Newcarsle, Doncuster, Glawsgoe, Man-Chester, etc in a way that their residents would never do

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
andy_wrx said:
Yes, but if they have a Brummie accent and want to pronounce the name of their city like that, I say they have the right to !
Sorry Andy, I'm an ex Brummie and it is Birmingham, perhaps I lived in the posh part ! (Northfield, Rednall, Rubery, who am I kidding !! :blush: )

Top Bottom