Things that really annoy you ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
I think you may be in trouble with Arch over that one...

He'll learn. Anyway, if he doesn't eat it, all the more for me!:blush:

Tetedelacourse said:
I love that post. An instant solution to idiots who think you are stupid enough to not see through "with the greatest respect" as an insult.

No no no no no. You're missing the point. It's not that people don't see that it's an insult, the whole point is that it is an insult. And the person you're talking to knows that, and s/he knows that you know. But they can't do anything about it because you're being superficially polite. Trust me, it works a treat and is great for putting, say, your boss in his or her place.:blush:

simoncc

Government departments and other public services putting 'for' in their titles instead of 'of'. Why bother to change from the Department for Education to the Department for Education? And London Transport has changed to Transport for London. Why?

There's no consistency either - we don't yet have a Chancellor for the Exchequer.

Arch

Married to Night Train
simoncc said:
Government departments and other public services putting 'for' in their titles instead of 'of'. Why bother to change from the Department for Education to the Department for Education? And London Transport has changed to Transport for London. Why?

There's no consistency either - we don't yet have a Chancellor for the Exchequer.

Indeed, that is a very very pointless change. Invisible almost...:blush:

Typo's eh?:smile:

Maybe there was a glut of 'for's left in the big box of Government words and they have to use them before they go off.

simoncc

Your Marks and Spencers annoys me too. They have notices up telling everyone that 'your Marks and Spencer' is doing this or that. As a shareholder it is my Marks and Spencer and my fellow shareholders. It does not belong to anyone who just shops there.

Tetedelacourse

Rhythm Thief said:
No no no no no. You're missing the point. It's not that people don't see that it's an insult, the whole point is that it is an insult. And the person you're talking to knows that, and s/he knows that you know. But they can't do anything about it because you're being superficially polite. Trust me, it works a treat and is great for putting, say, your boss in his or her place.:smile:

Don't makadamistaka that everyone who uses it is as clever as you, RT. In my experience the type of people who resort to using it genuinely think it masks whatever follows. If you're prone to insulting people, then do so with a bit of courage. :blush:

As for "they can't do anything about it because you're being superficially polite" well now they can CAN do something about it, thanks to Bonj and is fiendishly clever retort.

Big Bren

Tetedelacourse said:
As for "they can't do anything about it because you're being superficially polite" well now they can CAN do something about it, thanks to Bonj and is fiendishly clever retort.

For the sake of accuracy; as is usually the case when Bonj posts a witty or incisive one-liner, it's actually a quote from an episode of Alan Partridge, when it was still on the radio.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Grumpy old men (and women) who get irrationally irritated about silly things and post incessantly on internet forums to broadcast the fact, whilst never actually having the courage to deal with the source(s) of their irritation in real life.
Careful Big Bren, You'll get told to 'lighten up', ironically by those doing all the complaining.

Theres only two type of annoyance in life; those you can change and those you can't. For the first, simply get on and deal withit and for the second, well just let 'em roll.

I learnt a long time ago you can't take on every battle. Even worse, is letting stuff over with you have no control, get to you. It's a sure way of becoming very ill.

Big Bren

Tim Bennet. said:
(snip) It's a sure way of becoming very ill.

Interestingly, this forum boasts both a ready supply of people who are extremely irritated by things over which they have no control or are trivial, and a preponderance of people who describe experiencing emotional distress and/or mood disorders.

Top Bottom