Things that shouldn't be in salads...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Chips and baked beans.

Ah, got you now.
The salad is the bit that accompanies the pie, cheers!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
There's not much I won't put in a salad. I chop everything fairly small and eat from a bowl.
Grapes and tart apple chopped are acceptable but I draw the line on fruit there.
Every coloured pepper, celery, beetroot, crispy lettuce, cucumber, toms, fine green beans, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, radish,
p.s. No grated carrot or sweetcorn.

Isn't a tomato a fruit?

snorri

Legendary Member
I couldn't identify one component of salad I was served in France, but battled on despite the unappealing appearance and taste. I've never seen anything like it since and wonder if it might have been bits of frogs?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I would say gizzards have no place in a salad but I've had salade de gésiers numerous times in France and it's actually rather good.

As for fruit, I often add preserved lemons to salads to give them a kick. We had a glut of parsley that needed eating last week, so I made a salad with it, using tomatoes, black olives, capers, preserved lemons, garlic, red onion and cucumber, all chopped finely and mixed together with a splash of vinaigrette. Delicious.

Avocado and blood orange is also a great combination in a salad. So is pear and Roquefort with walnuts. And apple works perfectly in a Waldorf salad.

I remember my great aunt's salad in the 1970's.

Individually plated:
  • 1 green lettuce leaf (to form the base)
  • Cucumber, slice (x2) doused in malt vinegar, skin removed
  • Tomato, slice (x2)
  • Boiled egg, half
  • Silverskin Pickled onion, (x1)
  • Bread, one round, buttered (white)
  • John West tinned salmon
  • Salad cream
As you were
Are we related?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I couldn't identify one component of salad I was served in France, but battled on despite the unappealing appearance and taste. I've never seen anything like it since and wonder if it might have been bits of frogs?

Could have been the aforementioned gésiers. Were the unidentified bits grey and slug-like in appearance? Very popular in southwest France especially.

Top Bottom