Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Gestetner ?

Shaun

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
and had a special sort of printing that was clearly text of some sort but you clouldn't actually read !

Spirit copier or Banda machine (thanks wiki). They used to use them at college especially for diagrams.

Gestetner ?

Shaun

Gestener machines were a bit different. you had a wax stencil that was either typed on, without a ribbon, or drawn on and then wrapped around a drum which was filled with ink. As the drum was revolved, by hand or motor, a sheet of paper would be fed through & the ink would flow through holes in the stencil onto the paper. It could get messy.

midlife

Guru
Spirit copier or Banda machine (thanks wiki). They used to use them at college especially for diagrams.

Gestener machines were a bit different. you had a wax stencil that was either typed on, without a ribbon, or drawn on and then wrapped around a drum which was filled with ink. As the drum was revolved, by hand or motor, a sheet of paper would be fed through & the ink would flow through holes in the stencil onto the paper. It could get messy.

Was the ink usually purple and had a really nice smell?

Shaun

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Speaking of schools, televisions on tall trolleys. When I first started school they were old black and white jobbies with UHF and VHF knobs. Later on came video recorders - usually those huge Grundig V2000 machines that nobody outside of education ever bought, or a toddy thing that could only play and not record. These were always set up by one of the kids in the class as the teacher generally didn't have a clue.

Shaun
Yes I think it was purple and it came out soaking wet. I thought it smelt of meths!

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear

Shaun

The spirit copier did, not sure the gestetner machines did. The ink for those came in tubes, like big toothpaste tubes with similar texture. I was wrong before, I think we used to spread the ink on the drum, for some reason my father didn't allow me to do that.

Top Bottom