Things we used to do

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I remember a time, way back, when if you saw someone with a sleeve tattoo it was likely to be of something or someone that was meaningful to the person with the tattoo.

Now its seems to just be a fashion accessory, so they can be "unique - Just like all their mates". Either that or there was a mass exodus of the Maui tribes to the West Midlands over the last few years.

Last edited:
As a child in the early eighties I had a cycling log book for all the miles I clocked up using this :smile:

Crazy how my parents would allow me cycling all over Manchester also aged 12, didnt have any brakes on the bike either

How things have changed, I feel old now

2372406590_cb6e69f72d_b.jpg

Not my cyclometer or picture, Its of the web

Blimey, that picture has taken me back. Two of my mates when I was growing up, were very competitive brothers. However, older brother was somewhat fitter than the younger, slightly more "rotund" brother. Obviously, there was an on-going battle to see whose cyclometer was reading the most miles; older brother diligently riding all hours through the summer holidays with me, younger brother sneakily returning early from much shorter rides, upending his bike and spending his hours spinning the front wheel round!

keithmac

Guru
Remember going into town, or sending away for software? And the smell of new software?

Just me?

I remember buying cassettes for my Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2 from WH-Smiths (or was it Woolworths or Boots?).

When the Amiga 500 came out that was the best thing since sliced bread, used to go to the games shop in the arcade in town to buy new games, blank 3 1/2" floppy disks and lables!.

Used to send a Postal Order off to buy the latest Public Domain demos and music trackers.

Those were the days!...

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I remember buying cassettes for my Sinclair ZX Spectrum +2 from WH-Smiths (or was it Woolworths or Boots?).

When the Amiga 500 came out that was the best thing since sliced bread, used to go to the games shop in the arcade in town to buy new games, blank 3 1/2" floppy disks and lables!.

Used to send a Postal Order off to buy the latest Public Domain demos and music trackers.

Those were the days!...

And early computer viruses :laugh: Every amiga owner somehow had a copy of the anarchists cookbook on a floppy disk..

keithmac

Guru
Yeh I think that was a prerequisite of Amiga ownership!.

IK+, Sensible Soccer and Speedball 2.

State Of The Art demo on repeat, along with JOE'S..

keithmac

Guru
I remember turning up at the local video rental store with a handwritten note from my "mum" saying I was able to choose an 18 cert film (and it usually worked!), not the same result at the Odeon though..

Mrs M

Guru
Soft drinks were delivered by a man in a Corona van in the 70's/80's..

Qw34GPIBcorona-vintage.jpg
Ours was the "Bon Accord " man

Velominati

Hit the brakes on Chopper, slide off seat and bruise testicles on gearstick.

My parents couldn't afford the Chopper so I had to settle for the Tomahawk, anyhow, this was all about the time when Evil Knievil was making headlines, it should have been obvious to our parents that us young lads would want to copy our new found hero. Armed with milk crates and scaffold boards we made some pretty amazing jumps. To cut a long story short, I did suffer a few minor injuries and pretty much destroyed my tomahawk, my more wealthier friends on their Choppers suffered many serious groin injuries due in no small part to the strategically placed gear shift. I also recall that there was a building site near our housing estate, the builders didn't worry too much about health and safety back then so we were able to access the site with no problems, the deep trenches became our Grand Canyon, we would build ramps and jump them or at least try. After completing our daredevil stunts, it was home for tea and the latest episode of Planet of the Apes or the Six Million Dollar man...god, I miss those days.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHRvEwIpdpAz-SyyeY6JwjUoVJFN2xj5Ao_CWJmOP8mV9-1P5B.jpg
raleightomahawk.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-10_11-54-26.jpeg
    upload_2016-9-10_11-54-26.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Top Bottom