Things you hate about cycling!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
stop crashing then :rolleyes:

An older, wiser racing champion once told me, anyone who hasn't crashed on their bike are not trying hard enough.:wacko:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Saddles. My ars.. bum has sampled many over the years, from a stupid money Brookes (vile) to 3D printed (bearable, gimmick, silly money) and I’ve never found one that I’d call dreamy comfortable. The best I can say is that my barse has only hurt about the same as my legs and lungs with a Specialized Toupe, which is like something cut out of a 4 pint plastic milk bottle.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Unexpected icy conditions when out (OK if anticipated, just use the studded tyres)?

Err... cars that overtake you at the top of a hill then hold you up on the way down (had one of these yesterday, overtook them back, never saw them again, most satisfying)?

Umm... deciding to press on from potential pub stop then finding the ale at the next pub is substandard?

You can tell I'm struggling here.

presta

Guru
Compared with fellwalking, my previous pass time, cycling falls short in three areas:

1. Having climbed onto the ridge you have to go down the other side. No fellwalker would do that, once you get on the ridge you follow it, and don't come down until the end of the day.
2. Fast descents mean less recovery time before the next climb.
3. You never really escape the feeling that you're not seeing anything you couldn't have seen by car.

vickster

Legendary Member
Compared with fellwalking, my previous pass time, cycling falls short in three areas:

1. Having climbed onto the ridge you have to go down the other side. No fellwalker would do that, once you get on the ridge you follow it, and don't come down until the end of the day.
2. Fast descents mean less recovery time before the next climb.
3. You never really escape the feeling that you're not seeing anything you couldn't have seen by car.

Go cycling off road instead?

Twilkes

Guru

Not that I do it, but mountain bikers would disagree with that, and possibly with the 'having to come straight back down the ridge again' thing.

I find i see slightly more over hedges and fences than when I'm in a car, as I'm that bit higher, but also the pace is perfect - in a car you zoom past everything, walking takes forever to get to a new scene, but cycling you could look around you every minute and get a different view on where you are, and after a few hours you've been through some very different locations but still had time to take them in on the way past.

I hate ice cream shops in Milngavie whose website say they open at 11am but actually they only open at 1pm and you only find out once you've been back to the one across the road again that you thought was the main ice cream shop and found it odd that they only sold vanilla and asked them when the main ice cream shop opened and they said not until 1pm and you didn't cycle all that way again for another vanilla ice cream so you went home without having had an ice cream but when you get home you check the website again and it does actually say they open at 1pm, but I appreciate that may be specific to a very niche group of people.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hate is a strong word, let's call them dislikes in my case.
I dislike strong winds when I'm cycling, but then again I don't like them when I'm walking either ^_^
My strongest dislike directly related to cycling is having to periodically check the tyres for debris.
Especially when I have to do it inside due to the weather: the lighting inside my flat is not the best.

Top Bottom