Things you'd like inventing that haven't been invented yet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'd like someone to invent tarmac that absorbs and stores the sun's heat/UV rays, solar panel style. During this hot weather spell all that power/energy could be stored/absorbed by the tarmac, then released come the freezing cold days, thus preventing the roads and pavements needing salt/grit to keep them safe.🤔

I believe that this has been invented somewhere. I'm pretty sure I read that it is possible but expensive. UK being as rubbish at infrastructure as it is I wouldn't think it will be here any time soon though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Please can I have many a massive CO2 removal plant installed all over the planet. Please use these to bring global CO2 atmospheric levels back to normal PDQ. I can't go cycling in this heat.......
I think it would be asking too much for one plant to do it so I suggest lots of smaller CO2 removal plant. The other type of plant - trees. Forests full of them. All over the place...

How come nobody has thought of this before? :whistle:

Oh - they have... Only trouble is, the tree fellers are more successful than the tree fellas! :sad:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I think it would be asking too much for one plant to do it so I suggest lots of smaller CO2 removal plant. The other type of plant - trees. Forests full of them. All over the place...

How come nobody has thought of this before? :whistle:

Oh - they have... Only trouble is, the tree fellers are more successful than the tree fellas! :sad:

I did mean more than one extraction plant. Apologies for my poor English. Given how farked the globe is with regard to environment and continual setbacks in "international agreements" I think we need some fast chemistry. Apparently alkaline rocks can take in CO2 (checkout the Icelandic mini plant demonstrator). Methinks simple methods could speed that process up (rock crushing/stirring) and it can be scaled up too.

Attempting to cut CO2 emissions has failed now. Only active removal remains :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
What about a portable methane collection system?
A Sheffield study revealed the volume generated per day ranged quite widely, from around 500–1500 mL, with men and women expelling roughly similar volumes. And a plant based diet, vegans beware, will only increase the amount produced.

Cut out the quorn!

With all advancement of science and technology, sophisticated algorithms created, biometrics sensors etc, someone should invent a biometric sensor that will catch out MP that falsify their allowance and expense claims. Humans have difficulty shielding themselves when they know they have to pass thru a device like a lie detector.

They could have it as part of the gantry sensors he or she has to pass to enter parliament and it beeps continuously. They should pass a law when MPs speak at public events to have the same sensors hooked up to the mike.

ColinJ

I did mean more than one extraction plant. Apologies for my poor English. Given how farked the globe is with regard to environment and continual setbacks in "international agreements" I think we need some fast chemistry. Apparently alkaline rocks can take in CO2 (checkout the Icelandic mini plant demonstrator). Methinks simple methods could speed that process up (rock crushing/stirring) and it can be scaled up too.

Attempting to cut CO2 emissions has failed now. Only active removal remains :sad:
No, your English is fine - I was just making a pun on the word 'plant'!

I just think it is crazy that we cut down so many of the natural plants that lock up CO2 that we have to consider building massive chemical plants to do the same job!

An automatic bra measurer that actually fits you with the right size. Sort of maybe a booth you walk into and you get measured by lasers or something.

Just think of it... No riding backs because the band is too big, no cups that give you a quad boob, no straps that slice your shoulders in two giving you a splitting headache, no shop-trained bra fitters who fit you according to the shop or manufacturer's stock rather than your actual body shape. (About 80% of women wear the wrong-sized bra, btw...)

What about if the machine then actually made a custom bra to fit you. Or spat out a chip that could be fed into another machine that let you select what you wanted... Sexy, functional, sports...

Proto

Legendary Member
Wireless electrical power supply and working, efficient fusion reactors to make the electricity.

We’ve sort of got the first one (induction charging) but it’s nowhere near for the real stuff in life.

We’ve almost got the second one, too but it’s still years away from being commercially available.

Why the world governments are not pouring billions into research for fusion is beyond me. Worried they’d upset the fossils with their fossil fuels, maybe.

A Pill to instantly cure a hangover, I'm planning a ride tomorrow but the bottle of Jim Beam I have may impede my willingness....😄

ColinJ

A Sheffield study revealed the volume generated per day ranged quite widely, from around 500–1500 mL, with men and women expelling roughly similar volumes. And a plant based diet, vegans beware, will only increase the amount produced.

At least we veggies aren't responsible for millions of cows burping and guffing out far more methane than we ever do! :laugh:

Hmm - scientists are working on a solution! :okay:

Top Bottom