Things you'd like to say, but can't

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
All of those holier-than-thou people who think that their assessment of the hazard matrix and associated risks is SOOOOO much better than mine and feel the need to harp on about how doing such-and-such could save my life, or that I'm an idiot for not doing this that or the other -- kindly STFU. I'm big enough and old enough and experienced enough to make my own decisions and deal with the consequences. I don't harp on at you for being such a goody-goody killjoy, do I? I especially mean all those who feel they simply MUST jump on any comment about listening to MP3s or not wearing a helmet even if the actual point of the story is something else entirely.

Hypothetical example:

"I was riding along listening to some gentle prog rock by that under-appreciated 70s ensemble the Alan Parsons Project with the wind in my hair when a rabid badger leapt from the hedgrow and knocked me from my bike. Unfortunately I was being overtaken at the time by a toerag in a souped-up Landrover (I think it may have been Jeremy Clarkson in a wig) who had failed to give me the requisite amount of room specified in the Highway Code. My head now bears a passing resemblance to a watermelon that met an untimely end at the hands of a sledgehammer-wielding maniac. Is this an argument for culling badgers or for culling inconsiderate Landrover drivers?"

"If you hadn't been listening to your iPod then you'd have heard the dreadful 80s soft rock coming from the Landrover and the savage snarls of the badger and would have been in a better position to take evasive action. Also, a helmet would have reduced the severity of the damage inflicted upon your noggin when the offroad tyres at the rear of the vehicle squashed it against the tarmac."

OI, MUPPET, NO! This is not the appropriate moment to thrust your negligble-risk aversion on the rest of us. This is where we extend sympathies to the injured cyclist and support a plea for better driving standards!

And breathe.

Sam

taxing

Stuff I dislike:

The JobCentre - Doesn't actually add any value to my job seeking activities. Having done some digging their database of jobs has about 200 jobs on it. The JC people think that's about a third of the available jobs in the area. So there are 600 jobs, three thousand people signing - somehow I doubt everyone is going to end up in employment. I'm slowly starting to get tired of your focus on conditionality. To be honest I'd much rather do with out the whole £50/week you give me if the Gov't was actually out there investing in industry and creating growth in the employment sector.

The Job Centre isn't actually there to improve your job search, it's there to piss you off so much that you'll just take any old crappy minimum wage job rather than have to go in there and explain yourself to some patronising tosser every two weeks. A privilege which you have to wait half an hour for, usually while standing next to a bloke who smells of piss.

Night Train

Maker of Things
The Job Centre isn't actually there to improve your job search, it's there to piss you off so much that you'll just take any old crappy minimum wage job rather than have to go in there and explain yourself to some patronising tosser every two weeks. A privilege which you have to wait half an hour for, usually while standing next to a bloke who smells of piss.

It is also to give you so many hoops to jump through and to waste your time enough that you end up failing to meet your job seekers agreement and then they can stop paying you even though you are still out of work and struggling.

Or in my case the last times I tried signing on when out of work I would have to do everything religiously for months only for them to then tell me that I wouldn't get anything anyway. I could have better spent the time doing something useful that got me some work and some income.

brokenbetty

Über Member
To my old change manager:

the reason I gave you a different answer to everyone else 5 months ago is because I know more about the system than them. Despite acknowledging many times I was the expert in this area, you chose to ignore my advice and let the people who "thought there were alternatives" run a project to find out.

After 5 months and £300K, they had learnt enough to tell you what I told you 5 months ago.

To be fair, your £300K project did make some practical recommendations. What you haven't realised is that although they all have different names on, in practice pretty much every one of them came from me because pretty much everyone on your project came to me for advice.

So, you've spent 5 months and £300k and got a list of recommendations. If 5 months ago you'd given me that £300K, by now you'd have all those recommendations delivered. Instead you have naff all and I, the person who could have saved you £300K, resigned to work for someone else.

Well done you :tongue: you must be so proud

Speicher

Vice Admiral
For about the twentieth time we were discussing whether it was possible to do this. Now you claim you did not know it could be done. But when someone else, besides me, tells you that it is possible to do, then you believe them. Could you not have credited me with the intelligence to know this?

So at least now I know. It is a complete waste of time expecting you to believe anything I say. I think I ought to say thank you for that. Now I know not to waste anymore time or energy explaining anything to you. To your credit I now think you have the makings of an excellent Manager. I presume that you may have been to the same Management College as Brokenbetty's manager in the above post. Remind me not to apply to that college for any practical advice.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If you've got a runny nose, take a handkerchief or a tissue. Don't sit there on the tube for 25 minutes going ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1282581061' post='1372303']
If you've got a runny nose, take a handkerchief or a tissue. Don't sit there on the tube for 25 minutes going ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff ....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff....sniff.....sniff.....sniff....sniff
[/quote]

In my case, there is stuff in my nose, but there isn't actually anything to blow if that makes sense. Not sniffing however makes things unbearable after a certain point.
I have to admit though that I try not to sniff TOO much when in a public place, and if I do, only when I really have to or there is noise from elsewhere, thereby either distracting you or helping to cover the noise from me (rounds of applause for example are truly great things!:becool: ).

You are more likely to get a trully evil fart off me anyway! :evil:

Top Bottom