Things you've bought twice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've bought pilchards a few times......just to be on the safe side when Brexit/asteroid/nuclear war/Stock Market Crash/ The Plague/ Tsunami/Thermageddon kicks in.

Sharky

Guru
On a very similar vein, I inherited a very nice walnut bureau/writing desk from my Uncle. One of those with a drop down lid which turns it into a writing desk. To stop our daughter from opening the desk and interfering with it's contents, we locked the desk and put the keys in a safe place.

Yes you can imagine the next bit. The safe place turned out to be so safe that we couldn't find the keys ourselves, even though we searched the whole house. So in desperation and expense, we called in a lock smith, who managed to pick the lock and get it open.

A couple of days later we found the keys at the back of one of our drawers!

Yeah, that sounds a lot like my kitchen cupboards @PaulSB :laugh:

Except mine is mostly down to yellow sticker acquisitions - you just gotta take advantage of them when the opportunity presents itself.

Like today, I picked up 5 tins of tomato paste at 12p a tin because they were a wee bit dented...
I used to like the yellow sticker thread and its creative recipes.
Feel free to point me at it.
Someone should do a cookery prog based on that - even i might watch it. Suppose the reason they haven't is that they wouldn't be able to sell it abroad, especially not to italy. Unless marketed as a comedy laugh at the brits fest.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Can somebody answer this for me,seeing as I just can't take it in. It was in the paper the other day that an Australian man had won the lottery twice that day as he'd unknowingly bought two tickets with his usual numbers on. Instead of winning something like 11 million he ended up with 22 million dollars. So wouldn't that mean that he shared the winnings with himself? Meaning he didn't gain anything more by unknowingly buying two tickets. Sorry if it's obvious,but I just can't see the advantage of buying 2 same numbered tickets.:scratch:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cripes.
But you win the thread colin.
I got halfway through the first re-rental before thinking that the plot seemed familiar...:whistle:

The second re-rental only lasted halfway home! (I took the DVD back to the shop and swapped it for one that I had NOT watched before. :laugh:)

It is 6.5 years since I gave up the demon drink. I sometimes miss not being able to relax with a nice bottle of bitter, but I like being able to remember that I miss it - ha ha!

PS And I do remember that I have posted this tale before on the forum...

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Can somebody answer this for me,seeing as I just can't take it in. It was in the paper the other day that an Australian man had won the lottery twice that day as he'd unknowingly bought two tickets with his usual numbers on. Instead of winning something like 11 million he ended up with 22 million dollars. So wouldn't that mean that he shared the winnings with himself? Meaning he didn't gain anything more by unknowingly buying two tickets. Sorry if it's obvious,but I just can't see the advantage of buying 2 same numbered tickets.:scratch:

But if someone else won too, he would have got two thirds and the other person just one third ?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Shooting Rubber Bands at the Stars by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians... i bought it on cassette when it came out, and a couple of years ago whilst trawling the vintage stores in Morecambe, I found a copy on vinyl and being a vinyl junkie, i bought it, took it home and discovered that i already had it on vinyl as well as cassette. One album, two formats, three copies.

About ten years ago, a friend got a voucher in a newspaper; buy Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (the book) for only 50p. He already had a the book so bought it for me. I was thankful, yet bemused, because the last time he got the same voucher in the same paper, about 6 months previous, he did the same thing. I've since sent both copies to charity.

KneesUp

Guru
Shooting Rubber Bands at the Stars by Edie Brickell & New Bohemians... .
Cracking album though!

I'm one for multiple tools. Being self employed my tools can be at work or at home. So if I can't find what I want I assume it's at the other place. There are numerous hardware shops between the two, so often I just buy another, so I can have one tool for at home and one for at work. Often the tool turns out to be in the same building as me, just in the wrong place, so I end up with two for home and one for work, or whatever.

USB memory sticks also have the ability to hide until you've bought another.

byegad

Legendary Member
I thought that was an essential part of finding lost things:

Step 1: look everywhere
Step 2: Buy replacement
Step 3: Find original.

In our house it goes:-
1. Look everywhere.
2. Ask Lady Byegad to help.
3. Prior to her arrival in the shed, garage or room I've just looked in......

The thing re-materialises right in front of my eyes.

I used to like the yellow sticker thread and its creative recipes.
Feel free to point me at it.
Someone should do a cookery prog based on that - even i might watch it. Suppose the reason they haven't is that they wouldn't be able to sell it abroad, especially not to italy. Unless marketed as a comedy laugh at the brits fest.

Is this the thread you were after, @Blue Hills

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/todays-yellow-sticker-bargains.212683/

Guess it ought to be resurrected :blush:

Top Bottom