Things You've Learnt From Fettling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
Needed to fit a new lower headset bearing, so decided to finally cut down the steerer after riding with the stem a lot lower than when I first got the bike. The obvious thing was that the compression bung was in the way. After a short while scratching my head, it became clear how it all worked. I had put this job off for ages as though there would be a lot more to it.

What have you learnt from a spot of DIY fettling, the easy way or the hard way?

I've learnt that it's better and cheaper to pay someone else to do it.

But putting what I've learned into practice is tricky.

the snail

Guru
When you're taking a pedal off, make sure you're turning it the right way. Don't just stand on the spanner until it breaks.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I've learnt that it's better and cheaper to pay someone else to do it.

But putting what I've learned into practice is tricky.
Whilst I agree that we need to pay for some jobs, the vast majority are perfectly doable at home.

It cost me nothing to do it at home and helped me enjoy a Sunday afternoon with weather too atrocious for riding. Got the bearing cheaper from a well known online bike shop, than my local well known bike shop (that also has a big online presence) was able to do.

Pleasure from DIY and cost saving. This time at least.

Gary E

Veteran
Having learned the hard way when it comes to bearings/quick links/nuts and bolts etc. - get yourself one of those little magnetic trays and place it underneath whatever you're working on. They're cheap and I honestly think it's one of the best things I've bought for my bike :smile:

Tin Pot

Guru
Whilst I agree that we need to pay for some jobs, the vast majority are perfectly doable at home.

It cost me nothing to do it at home and helped me enjoy a Sunday afternoon with weather too atrocious for riding. Got the bearing cheaper from a well known online bike shop, than my local well known bike shop (that also has a big online presence) was able to do.

Pleasure from DIY and cost saving. This time at least.

Perfectly doable, yes - that's why I do it.

But it's neither better nor cheaper than getting someone else to do it.

Maybe in five more years my expertise will be such that I always thread casings and cables first time and never chew the ends up. No bracket ever misinstalled, no headset ever creaking, no chain ever stuck or farked up in some new and imaginative way.

Until then, it will be worse and more expensive, in money and time.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Perfectly doable, yes - that's why I do it.

But it's neither better nor cheaper than getting someone else to do it.

Maybe in five more years my expertise will be such that I always thread casings and cables first time and never chew the ends up. No bracket ever misinstalled, no headset ever creaking, no chain ever stuck or farked up in some new and imaginative way.

Until then, it will be worse and more expensive, in money and time.
Taking my time and buying the right tools has so far meant the second time doing a job has always been straightforward.

Not done a bottom bracket yet, so that’s about the only road bike learning curve to come, aside from building wheels.

Top Bottom